My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rebecca

Those are the famous opening words to both the book of Rebecca and the movie of the same name...

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Harper Paperbacks (November 1, 1997)
ISBN-10: 0380730405

From Library Journal
Surely no audio book collection should be without some version of this timeless classic, arguably the most famous and well-loved gothic novel of the 20th century, and this production would be an excellent choice. Read in wonderfully British cadences by Anna Massey, all the mysterious and oppressive nuances are made immediate and chilling. We even feel some sympathy for the absurdly timid and cowering heroine; it is, after all, easy to imagine feeling woefully inferior to the predecessor and desperately eager to please. Of course the story requires great leaps of credulity... Forget the movie; it makes mincemeat of the actual tale. A wise seven-year-old once told me, "The book is always betterDit goes right into your head." This is a prime example Dlisten again; it gets even better. Highly recommended. DHarriet Edwards, East Meadow P.L., NY

Most recently, if I read a book that was once a movie that I had seen, more than likely , a number of times, I seem not to enjoy the book so much. This is NOT the case with Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

At certain parts in the book I did find that I got a mental picture from the movie, which was an enjoyable addition to reading the book.

This was a great book for the RIP challenge. It surely had that Gothic feel to it, and if the maid, Mrs Danvers, doesn't creep you out.. well then you don't know creepy!

Excerpt: Then I heard a step behind me and turning round I saw Mrs Danvers. I shall never forget the expression on her face. Triumphant, gloating, excited in a strange unhealthy way. I felt very frightened.

(a bit later:speaking of mrs Danvers) She took hold of my arm, and walked me towards the bed. I could not resist her, I was like a dumb thing. The touch of her hand made me shudder. And her voice was low and intimate, a voice I hated and feared.

Trust me.. it's creepy!

(more from the book:) Mrs Danvers came close to me, she put her face near to mine. "It's no use, is it?" she said, "You'll never get the better of her. She's still mistress here, even if she is dead. She's the real Mrs de Winter, no you. It's you that's the shadow and the ghost. It's you that's forgotten and not wanted and pushed aside. Well, why don't you leave Manderley to her? Why don't you go?"

She pushed me towards the open window. I could see the terrace below me grey and indistinct in the white wall of fog. "Look down there," she said. "It's easy, isn't it? Why don't you jump? It wouldn't hurt, not to break your neck.. It's a quick kind way. It's not like drowning. Why don't you try it? Why don't you go?"

... Manderley...

I don't think one can say enough about this book. There's love, there's deception, there's mystery...and then there's Mrs Danvers, making sure Rebecca remains in every room on every chair in the house..... it just has it all, and I believe you will find that once you begin to read this book, that you will not want to put it down.

I would recommend both the book and the movie for a good read and a good movie to watch .

14 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I like the cover of your copy better than mine! Maybe if I had it, I might actually read it... So many books, so little time!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

The first pic is a gorgeous photo! I really need to re-read Rebecca. I read it in high school and really loved it but now the parts I do remember somehow get mixed up with the parts of Jane Eyre that I remember. I don't think I've ever seen the movie though.

7:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kailana: 'Tis the perfect time to read Rebecca!!!

Tink: I took that photo in the cemetary ..heh. A little Mood setting! I was surpised at how well Hitchcock did with this book (movie).. he followed it precisely!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I never did see the movie, but I did read the book. Very good. Actually, I think I liked some of du Maurier's other works better. Most notably My Cousin Rachel and Jamaica Inn, but still this is a classic. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

10:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

stephanie: what do you think there was about the other books that made you like them better????

11:03 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I finished it today! What a great book. I watched the movie something like ten years ago, and before I started reading I didn't remember much other than the ending. But as I read on, more and more images from the movie came back to me. That wonderfully disturbing scene by the window, for example, or the whole thing with the dress for the ball... when I got to them it all came back to me.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

As you know, I can't remember if I've read this one or not. My memories may be of the film, which I know I loved. Been waiting to hear your reaction to the book, Pat, and am so pleased you loved it. I think I'll add it to the list of books I'd like to read in 2009.

2:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: yeah me too! lol.. but I thought knowing the movie might take away from the book but it didn't.. in this case I think it inhanced it!

Cath: it was one of those books you pick up 15 minutes after you set it down! lol... Even though I knew what happened hahaha..I guess it was more like a favorite reread than anything...

2:53 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Judith Anderson was so good as Mrs. Danvers...Very Very Scary...!
I just a film from Netflix recently called "DAPHANE"....and English film about Daphane DiMaurier...It was fascinating. I knew nothing about her and if the film is true-to-life, she certainly had a very intetesting life. It's not a great film---something is missing in it, for me...it is rather cold, in a way..BUT, still...fascinating! You might want to rent it, if you are a Netflix-er...(lol)

11:39 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It should read: I just "saw" a film.....OY VEY!

11:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi:oh yes! Dame Judith Anderson was fantastic in that role!
Thank you for the information about Daphne Du Maurier I'll certainly look about and see if I can find that dvd

7:38 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

As much as I love old Hitchcock movies, I still haven't seen Rebecca!! I think I've seen every one but :p I saw the new BBC version and it was decent, but I liked the book much better..I have a feeling I'd love the Hitchcock version though.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, it is one of my favorite gothic stories. I was mesmerized when I first read it. I really enjoy the classic movie version except for the fact that they made obvious changes to some of the story because of the time period in which the film was made. I actually prefer the more recent version with Diana Rigg in it. Have you seen it? I recommend it if you haven't, it at least is a little more faithful to the book. Both are very good movie versions though.

12:29 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: I hope you manage to catch it on tv sometime... but i'd like to see the other version too, I know I've never seen it.

carl: just wondering, did you ever read her book My Cousin Rachel?? wondered if its as good

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home