My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Waiting Game

Gawd, how I hate the Waiting Game!

You wait and wait for that next book in a series .. sometimes more than a year! The release looms over you for months.. and then.. and then... (along came Jones?!).. and then within days you've ordered it.. it's arrived and you've devoured it ! ARGH!!!

..And then?..

You begin the wait all over again!!

I keep saying that I am swearing off of "series". Me! Who loves series! How incredible is that?!! I love series because once I am hooked on the characters and story, I never want it to end!!

But .. and there's always a "but" isn't there?!.. heh.. What I've got to do is STOP STARTING NEW SERIES!

So. where do I stand at the moment??... *sigh*.. not in a really good spot!

Here are most of what I am impatiently waiting for...


The wonderful Cornelia Funke's third book: Inkdeath, due out next month! Now, if they can only get the movie of Inkheart release I'd be totally thrilled...


Jon Berkely's Wednesday Tales has turned out to be a cute series. Book number 3, The Lightening Key is due out January 27, 2009.


I adore James A Owen's series... So far Here There Be Dragons and The Red Dragon have been great! Book 3, The Indigo King is due out the end of October!!


Elizabeth Haydons, The Lost Journals of Ven Polyphene, have been very enjoyable.. I really like her character of Ven and his cohorts. I've found no release date for book number 4 The Tree of Water. (that's discouraging!)


Michael Scott managed to hook me on his story regarding the Immortal Nicholas Flamel and some absolutely wonderful characters ! The Magician is a recent release so I have a time to wait for book 3, The Sorceress.



Stephen R Donaldson hooked me many years ago with two trilogies about Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. Now he is attempting to finish what he began so many years ago.. but the wait in between these books is enough to drive me crazy..



Ahhh, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman! Dragonlance! The forever books! haha.. It seems Dragonlace decided to make yet another trilogy with these wonderful authors, but low and behold.. book 3 seems to have bit the dust! And wouldn't you know that it's the one I want to read the most! The title is (was?) Dragons of the Hour Glass Mage. Who just happens to be a likable but despicable character named Raistlin. I don't know if the book will ever be written .. but I haven't given up hope!


With all this waiting.. you'd think I had finally learned my lesson: Do NOT begin a new series until ALL the books are released!.. but nooooooooooo, I had to go and meet (via his blog) a new author, with a new series! (banging head on desk)... when will I ever learn???!!!!

To make matters WORSE (can they be worse???) J Scott Savage's series is going to be FIVE BOOKS! Five! I'm not sure I will live long enough to read the final book!!!

I guess it's safe to say.. I'll never learn.


12 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I feel the same way, Deslily. Although, thinking about it, I guess I'd rather be waiting for further adventures of favorite characters than not get an opportunity to be with them again, even if it does mean waiting.

I just got Here There Be Dragons on CD to listen to - I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Sigh, I know how you feel. Though to be honest I haven't quite been driven crazy by the wait since Harry Potter, because most of the series I'm in the middle of are of books with the same characters but separate plots.

But anyway, as frustrating as the wait is, there's nothing like the feeling of finally having that special book in your hands, finding a comfy place, and reading for hours and hours :)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Just on my way to bed but happened to stop by your blog first. Had to laugh. I'm always starting new series too (about to start two more) but am never up to date enough to be waiting on new books.
Gorgeous pics of book covers to ogle over though, Pat.

*Still* no news of that Inkheart movie. Do you think they were kidding us that they actually made it?

7:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

darla: oh yes! and a bit of a surprise to find out who the caretakers are at the end!

nymeth: it almost makes the wait worth it lol.. ALMOST! It's just strange to wait a year or more and read it in a day or two lol lol

Cath: hi Cath! Oh I am positive the movie was made LOL.. I got to meet and talk to Andy Serkis right after he finished filming it! (he plays Capricorn, the bad guy!)

It was so long ago if the folks in the movie ever get interviewed they probably won't remember the story!!.. sad thing is the kid playing Meg.. if the movie is a hit and they make the other books she will have aged !!

7:32 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....This is really wonderful Pat. I admire you so for the ferocious amount of reading you do and for the incredible enthusiasm you bring to all the books you read. BRAVO to you!

BTW: I asked Lee about those pictures. And she had not doenloaded them yet...She was away for almost a month and then her oldest daughter just had a back operation---Kind of an emergency situation...! So...be patient with her. I know she will do it when there is time. I did see her yesterday---Another "Ladies Who Lunch"...and she is also now getting ready to start work in San Francisco on "Long Days Journey...." Sje is busier than a one armed paper hanger! AND, she is working on her book, through all this. Abyway...I just wanted to let you know what is happening with her.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm waiting on a ton of "next books in the series" too :(

1:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi:.. sent you an email.

ladytink: sometimes I read so many new things between waiting on a book I forget a lot of the story!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes indeed, you have hit on one of the main reasons why I dislike new series novels. I'd much rather save myself the agony and go read an already completed series. If patience builds character, you are certainly doing some massive character building right now! :)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Deslily,

My son is reading Far World, as I type, and loving it. You know what really jumped out at me in this post (besides the fact that it was a really fun post and made me smile)? You read some extremely colorful books!!! Kiddo is also addicted to Cornelia Funke's series. He should just hang out with you; I'm sure you guys would have such fun talking about books.

Personally, I'm not faithful to series authors, but I'm excited about Far World and I certainly hope you live long enough to read them all! I want to read your thoughts! :)

7:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: For one thing.. I really do hate waiting!! But now at my age, I really wonder if I will read the end of Far World!

Darla: well I am seriously OLD but I get along great with my 12 yr old grandson because he's a reader too and I read many YA books! I am glad to hear he likes the Inkheart series!! It's up there at the top of YA books and I can't wait for the movie .. i will admit here, that mostly I can't wait because Andy Serkis (Gollum of LOTR) is playing the bad guy! Tell him he has excellent taste!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just watched the movie "The Jane Austen Book Club" - and in it the young male who is invited to join is a huge Sci-Fi reader. He says to the book club, "Is there an order I have to read them? Are her books a series?"

When they tell him no and he is a bit shocked.

I had a good laugh at that.

1:04 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

karmyn: Boy, that would shock me too ! A series that doesn't have to be read "in order"???!! lol (of course... george lucas did make the star wars movies out of order!)

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home