My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Update

I thought I would give a little update on my brother..

It all began July 24th when we took him to the doctor and she put him in the hospital to treat cellulitis. Things have gone downhill since then.

About 2 1/2 or 3 weeks ago he finally left the hospital after treatment to breath consisting of being on a respirator for 10 days and then a defibrillator put in his chest. (all of that was due to the fact that he stopped breathing several times and had to zap his heart) He went to Stratford Manor which is a rehab place.

He was there not quite 2 weeks. Things were not progressing as they had other times. Then one Saturday we were there and he was noticeably worse trying to breath and he had a hard time staying awake. Every few minutes he'd fall asleep and wake again and do it all over again. We went back Sunday and it was worse.. we were trying to help feed him and he'd fall asleep while chewing food. We talked to the nurse there who in turn called his doctor and he was sent back to the hospital.

Immediately we saw a breathing and his awareness improve.. this was because they put him back on a steroid stating his one lung lobe showed pneumonia... but he looked and acted much improved... we were hopeful again. Yet not so. My brother (among his many health problems) is diabetic... when on steroids it sends his sugar count sky high. (not good).. but .. no choice.

We went last night to see him, as we have been every night since July 24th and we were told he was back in ICU. My heart started pounding. Once there, we found him asleep. David touched his arm a few times to waken him but he didn't waken (he was on monitors and they read ok) We called a nurse who had a hard time waking him but he finally woke (this was after not waking even when one nurse stuck needles him and took blood).

Finally, a nurse talked to us and told us why he wound up in ICU.. we thought it was his breathing again and it was.. sorta.. but what happened was his catheter wasn't working and his kidneys were backed up and it affected his breathing.. it took them a bit to figure it all out but once they changed the catheter his breathing got somewhat better right a way. He probably will be sent back to a normal room today... and then it's back to rehab.

That's all the latest from here...

10 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhh Pat! What a horrible time! I had no idea... I'm so sorry! I'm adding your brother to my prayer list now! I hope he IS indeed better soon!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I can't even begin to imagine how scary last night must have been for you! I'm so glad he's doing better. Hopefully he will continue to recover.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Thanks for the update, Pat, I was wondering how he was doing. Bit up and down by the sound of it. I hope he continues to improve though. Thinking about you too as this must all be a terrible strain. Hope you've been able to find some time for yourself to relax.

6:51 PM  
Blogger barrettmanor said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Pat. I'll keep the GT's coming...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm so sorry you and your're loved ones are having to go through this :(

10:54 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so sorry to hear this and even more sorry that I haven't inquired recently. The last I remember reading was more good news sounding and I just assumed, wrongly, that things continued to be on the way up. Please forgive me for not asking earlier and please know that prayers and best wishes are here for you and your brother.

12:23 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Sorry again to hear about all of this mess Pat :( I wish there was something that I could do in situations like this. I know how hard and exhausting this must be for you. I hope that the situation gets better soon. You're still in my thoughts all the time.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Even though there is not much to say, I am sorry this is happening to you. Hugs.

8:34 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your brother must have the most incredible constitution and such a strong "will" to live! God Bless Him! I know this is not easy for you or David...and it must be an incredible struggle for your dear brother.
I hope things improve enough that he CAN come home, once again.
Prayers are coming your way, my dear.

4:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks Naomi.. i hope so too!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home