My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Game

The Game by Laurie R King

 

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Bantam (March 2, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0553801945

From School Library Journal
Adult/High School–Once apprentice, now investigator, Mary Russell travels to India in 1925 with her former mentor, now husband, Sherlock Holmes. In this seventh adventure, the duo is searching for Kimball O'Hara, the Kim of Rudyard Kipling's eponymous novel. On a mission from Sherlock's brother Mycroft, long involved in British espionage, they are tasked with finding Kim or evidence of his status as victim or traitor. Sailing to India on a luxury liner, they meet an American family with a debutante daughter, a social-climbing mother, and a left-leaning son, who of course reappear at a strategic moment. Upon their arrival, Mary and Sherlock disguise themselves as native traveling magicians and seek out an anti-English and very sadistic maharaja, "Jimmy." With her usual thorough research, King imbues the mystery with lots of historical detail and a real sense of time and place. This is one of the best in the series and can easily be read on its own, though readers will then want to go back and see how the strange, but surprisingly plausible, meeting and union between a young Mary and a considerably older Holmes actually occurs. Likewise, a previous reading of Kim is unnecessary, but teens will likely be intrigued enough to go on to read that as well. A sure bet for mystery lovers and historical fiction

 

Gosh...

What can I say?

It's Laurie R King, doing her thing with Mary Russell and Sherlock once again.

At first I thought it was beginning a bit slow.  I kept waiting for it to take off and it wasn't.   But then,.. suddenly... it took off like a shot and I couldn't put the book down!

This was sooo cool ! I mean, they were looking for "Kim".  RUDYARD KIPLING'S KIM! That was just too awesome lol.

I have to admit that Amazon tells it like it is this time around.  Much more can't be said without telling everything there is to say.

I have to say it again ...  I do really like this series of books, and I really like how Laurie R King writes them!   Also... I know I like how she writes even if it isn't Mary and Sherlock (though what's not to like with those two?), because I really did like her last book she put out called Touchstone.  All new characters and an all new mystery.. and I loved it.

It never ceases to amaze me because other than watching Basil Rathbone movies as Sherlock, I can't say I was ever a Sherlock "fan", but meeting Mary Russell changed all of that.  I have but one Mary Russell book left to read, "Locked Rooms" and then I will have read them all.

I can thank Carl for all of this.. (hmmm, maybe I should send him the bill for the 7 books!) because I came across her book "the Moor" to read for last year's RIP and became hooked.    Thanks Carl. (no even a hint of sarcasm there.. I've liked all the books that much!)

So, if you like mysteries.... you might want to try one or two (or more) of Laurie R King's books.  Oh, and just so you know... If you don't think you want to get 7 books, they are all individual mysteries, so it is possible to read just one. (about as likely as eating just one potato chip!)

Now, I think I will go and begin the last of the Mary Russell books, Locked Rooms.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I see she has a new book out in 2009 - The Language of Bees. It's listed on the FantasticFiction site as a 'novel' not under 'Mary Russell' so am assuming it's not a MR book. I wonder if she will write more MR books.

My next MR book is O Jerusalem but I don't have it and I think you said it could be skipped didn't you? In which case Justice Hall is next for me and I don't have that either so must see to that soon.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Don't you just hate when you pick up a new book, love it, and then find out there are 6 more??? O.K... a little sarcasm there, but not much. I do so love finding a new author that I like ;p

9:53 AM  
Blogger Zedque said...

Actually Language of Bees will be a Mary Russell novel -- I'm not sure why FF listed it as otherwise!

11:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: ummm, I honestly don't remember about O'jerusalem..heh, I may have said it was my least favorite but don't remember to be honest.

astaryth: well aside from the first 3 books or so they could be "individual" stories.. but the first 3 had the sub-story of Mary and Sherlock meeting and falling in love.

zedque: oh wow, thanks for the heads up! I did go and put it on my amazon wish list without even knowing lol

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Would you believe that I've never read any of Sherlock Holmes's stories? I've always meant to but never have. I do like the idea of this whole re-crafting thing though. I might have to try these!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

The fact that they're looking for Kim is awesome indeed! I really look forward to reading this series.

1:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: I've never read them either! but these books made me send for "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" book ..which is HUGE! and I haven't read it yet....but I will!

Nymeth: This whole set of books was out of my comfort zone..but is now comfort! I never read mysteries! The whole concept of a "mrs" sherlock Holmes is awsome and needless to say a very strong female character, with good mysteries and sherlock to boot! An excellent combo!

2:40 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You're making it REALLY hard for me not to pick up The Beekeeper's Apprentice from my TBR shelf and start it immediately. I have a feeling that I'll love these books if I ever read them :p And it will be all your fault!!! Guess what? I got a computer finally!!!!!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You're welcome!!! I may have told you this before but it always cracks me up to read about these books because Mary Russell was my wife's name when we were dating. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

I certainly consider myself a fan of Sherlock Holmes but that is much more from reading the Carol Nelson Douglas books about Irene Adler as opposed to reading Doyle's stories, though I have read a few. I have a nice complete collection of Sherlock Holmes that I need to get to at some point.

8:52 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds really really great! I am not a HUGE Mystery fan, but...This one and her others sound fascinating!

12:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: I can do the blame game too ya know! LOL Not only the Mary Russell books but The Thirteenth Tale that I have read twice now! I keep looking for another book that would be really close to that one.

Hi Naomi: they are all good books! The books are written "in succession" but.. they all have an ending so you never feel you have to pick up the next book immediately! This is the first series of books I have let months go between reading the next book and it hasn't bothered me at all.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home