My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Bucket List

You may or may not recognize the title, The Bucket List.

It's a movie starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.

I just watched this movie. It's not top of the list for an all round good time, though it has both funny (laugh out loud) moments and very emotional moments. Freeman and Nicholson make a list of things they want to do before they "kick the bucket" and then set about doing them.

Sadly, age and health can limit you as to what you are "able" to do before you die. (not to mention the cost.. sigh) However, in movies you can do more than you might in real life!

Still, the premise is a good one... if you could (cost and health issues aside) what would be on that list of things you wish you could do before you die?

Here's a few things I'd put on my Bucket List...

1- I'd like to spend time at the Grand Canyon.

2- Meet the Supai Indians and see Havasu Falls

3- See the Redwood Forest.

4- I'd like to buy some Indian jewelry directly from the Indian who made it.

5- I'd like to travel to England, see Stonehenge, Go to the theater and see a Play, see The Moors (visit!)

6- See Ireland and Scotland.

7- I'd like to make friends with a giraffe.

8- Be at a Nasa launch

9- Experience weightlessness

10- Meet Maggie Smith (among a few others I could think of!)

11- Go Whale Watching

12- Live on a ranch or in a Log Cabin

You know.. if you think about it, you could make a list go on and on and on, and the best one on any list, would be to be able to do them all before your time here is gone.

Everyone should make a Bucket list, especially the younger folk. And they should check it every year and make sure that they are able to cross some of those important things off of the list.

I imagine Nicholson and Freeman may have given it some serious thought after they made that movie together. Neither of the being young anymore, time becomes more precious. It's certainly a movie to make you sit back and think when it's over.

When you are a bit older, like me, there would be a second list (hopefully) of things crossed off of the Bucket List. Like, when I was young I wanted to be married and have children. I did that, so it would be crossed off. I wanted a creative outlet, but no mentor around to show me the way, but I did play drums for a short bit in a rock and roll band. I was on "stage" and people applauded for the music, so that would be crossed off the list. I've met many celebrities, and each one has been an experience, especially the Kelley's. I did meet some astronauts, as you recently read, that would be another one to cross off.

You should try making a list, cross off the ones you've managed to do and smile at the ones yet to come. And if you feel like it... share it with us.

I think I would give this movie three out of five boxes of popcorn.. maybe it hits a little too close for comfort for me.

13 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I give the movie 4 out of 5. Cliff and I really enjoyed it!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

I had not heard of the movie, but absolutely love the concept. Right at the top of my list would be travel: Rome, Venice, Paris, London, countryside of England, Alaska, well....you get the idea.

I did manage to accomplish your #4 this summer while attending school in Santa Fe, NM. I bought a necklace for my 15 year old from a 15 year old boy. It was fascinating to listen to the stories of what is truly their family business.

7:54 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Donna: Oh I like it alright, my problem is I'm old and thoughts of death are with me more than they should be.. but I love both actors and they did a great job. And I do think everyone should have a bucket list and stive to cross things off and enjoy life more than we do... it's certainly not easy to do when struggling to pay bills or health problems.

7:54 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Molly: ohhh, that would make an interesting post! I've never liked glittery jewelry, turquoise has always been my favorite stone and I love indian jewelry. (not that I own any)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I shall have to think on this as there are certain things I want to do and you never quite know when your time is up. Good list though, Pat. Particularly like the coming to the UK bit. *g*

2:55 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

This is the movie that I saw with the charming comedian on our first date. I wanted to see the Spiderwick Chronicles, but didn't want to come across as too nerdy so soon, so I went with the more acceptable choice... (He actually watched The Spiderwick Chronicles the other day and I still haven't seen it!)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I loved this movie. Glad you finally got to see it!

I like your list :) England and Ireland are places I've always wanted to go for as long as I can remember and I love Maggie Smith.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I really loved this movie!

My bucket list is so long....

4:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it is something to be thought about and added to now and then, people change ..wants and wishes change... this list was off the top of my head... in the movie one thing on Morgans list was to make a difference in a complete strangers life.. it really is something to think about.

Kailana: that's funny.. you should always be yourself, that way there's no surprises later!

Tink: well you are much younger than me! you have a shot at it! You should plan for it and do it.. even if the plan is for 3 or 4 yrs from now.. give yourself time to save without it "hurting" and then do it!

Hello Carrie...I think everyone's bucket list is long.. but everyone should write it down and keep it where you can see it and strive for some of those things on your list!

7:39 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm so going to make a bucket list now! I really need to do that. Maybe it'll get me to actually do some of the stuff I've always wanted to do.

2:14 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: it certainly is a good idea and especially for the young people like yourself. It gives you things to strive for, enjoyment in life. Of course no one knows how long they have. Many die young too. So it's not a list to sit and look at and do nothing about... it's a list to do! And it doesn't mean its all "go off and do something" It can be something like helping a stranger carry a heavy package so that you feel good about yourself. but out first instints (as my list shows) list things we feel we don't want to miss out on.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I wrote a post on bucket list (mine, not the movie) last year.
My top one is go on a tornado chase / vacation. I nearly signed up for one last year. This year my budget is tighter.

Are you interested in chasing tornadoes? (:

Ps. I enjoyed that movie.

12:12 AM  
Blogger ANovelMenagerie said...

I love what you did with the popcorn!

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home