My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Curious Case of Benjamin Button

A surprise review!  It's a surprise because I didn't expect to go to the movies, and I didn't pick the movie! (not a huge Brad Pitt fan, though I have liked some of his movies, he's just not someone I run to the movies to see)

David has this week off of work and wanted to go to the movies so I actually got out again!  Incredible, I'm still hoping to go see Inkheart when it's released this month!  And the Bucket List was a purchased dvd I watched at home.

  

So.. here I am... and the movie is:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

 IMDb Synopsis

"I was born under unusual circumstances." And so begins 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,' adapted from the 1920s story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about a man who is born in his eighties and ages backwards: a man, like any of us, who is unable to stop time. We follow his story, set in New Orleans from the end of World War I in 1918 to the 21st century, following his journey that is as unusual as any man's life can be. Directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with Taraji P. Henson, Tilda Swinton, Jason Flemyng, Elias Koteas and Julia Ormond, Benjamin Button is a grand tale of a not-so-ordinary man and the people and places he discovers along the way, the loves he finds, the joys of life and the sadness of death, and what lasts beyond time.

Like I said, I am not a huge Brad Pitt fan.  I don't dislike him either, just not a big fan.  I had to say that again just so you  know I mean it when I say... this is a movie I expect to take away some Oscars!

Yes, folks.. it's good.  It's very good.   All of the actors and actresses were execellent, and the story is mostly told by Benjamin Button.  The movie is 2 hr and 45 min long..but it didn't really seem long at all!  

Everything about this movie is done exceptionally well. (and it was great seeing Julia Ormond again! I haven't seen her in anything in a really long time!)

The special effect of him ageing backward is nothing short of phenomenal.

Admittedly, I have not seen the other movies up for the Oscars but I know they are a contender and I will be surprised if they don't get any Oscars at all.

This is surely a Five out of five popcorn movie!

 

15 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

How wonderful you got a surprise outing! I'm always glad to hear when you have had a chance to get out and about a little. It's good for you! Hmmm... This wasn't a movie I had on my list of must sees... maybe I'll have to add it ! ;p

10:57 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am not sure if I want to see this movie or not. We are not having much luck lately with getting movies that I want to see, though, so I don't imagine I will be going to the movies anytime soon!

12:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hiyas JJ: It wasn't on any list of mine to go see either and like I said, not a Brad Pitt fan so I was surprised at how well it was done and held my interest!

Kailana: Maybe you will go see Inkheart????

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I hadn't even heard of this movie, Pat, so that's how behind the times I am. But it sounds like a really enjoyable film and will certainly put it on my 'try to see' list.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm getting more and more curious about this movie! I saw the trailer on TV recently and a song I really love was playing...that and your review definitely make me want to see it.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I haven't been to a theater in over 15 years, but Inkheart is going to be the movie to break that streak! But I'll definitely keep this in mind when it comes out on DVD.

5:01 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it is up for Oscar awards but which ones I dont know.

nymeth: it's well done and an interesting concept to be born old and get younger. Hard to believe F Scott Fitzgerald wrote it as a short story

Debi:I am not used to going to movies more than once or twice a year so this is all new to me. It was really interesting and done very well. It does deserve recognition, so check it out when it's out in dvd. I am soooooooooooooooooo waiting for Inkheart!! I love all three books and really hope they do all the movies of them.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I expect at least two Oscar wins for this. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like a good movie. Glad you liked it so much!

11:10 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I want to see this so bad! You should've seen the city when they were filming it. It was shot all around New Orleans and people were going crazy everywhere trying to see something! I heard that they threw hurricane Katrina in there, which is strange since the story was written ages ago by F. Scott Fitzgerald...but hollywood does that :p

1:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: I did enjoy it. If a friend wanted me to go see it with them I would see it again, but just because I'm not a big fan of his I won't buy the dvd to have in my collection.

Chris: and you didn't try to see any filming?? darn! Yes they did put Katrina in the movie.. you have to remember Benjemin Button was born of the age in his 80's so eighty years go by which brings it fairly up to date.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Ooh, this was a really good one. If maybe a little long. But still, the special effects could have been completely horrible and they managed to actually look cool! And what a storyline!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad Pitt is a great actor... i love the imagination that went into making Benjamin Button

10:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

coffee: I was shocked it was written by F Scott Fitzgerald

5:04 AM  
Blogger Margo said...

I reviewed this one too a few weeks ago. I didn't love it, but liked it, I'd say. The Fitzgerald story is completely different... the only thing that is the same is the premise. Great review! I love unexpected movie outings!

9:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Margo: well it certainly was an unusual premise! lol.. i love unexpected anything at my age! lol

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home