My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Asa. Asa. Asa

I'm more than sorry to be doing this again so quickly... but I adored Philip Carey, and I can't let the news of his passing go unnoticed. 

Philip Carey, best known as Asa Buchanan on One Life to Live dies.

He did mean with the best of villains.

 

(above: Asa, Clint and Bo 1980's)

 

Cowboy Carey with Peter Graves

  One of just many Cowboys Philip Carey Played.

Maybe it was because he stood 6'4" that he impressed me long before he became Asa Buchanan.  He was a big cowboy!   And handsome to boot!  Add to the mix that he had a fairly distinctive voice.     Sadly we won't be seeing or hearing him anymore, except in reruns now.

I can't believe he's gone, though I knew he had lung cancer and knew why he had left the soap opera, he just seems indestructible. 

While searching some photo's of him I came across the picture above of him when he first joined One life to Live and I discovered that Clint Ritchie, who played Clint Buchanan had also passed away this past January 31 of a heart attack.  (He was  70 yrs old)

So that makes us reach the magical number 3 that seems to happen with both deaths and bad news.  Here's hoping there are no more for some time to come.

Here's a good link to a report on Philip Carey's career and death.

12 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Wait...

The original Clint was 70?? Good grief! I can't believe that.

And Phil Carey was so good looking... and Asa was such a wonderful villian but his soft spot for certain people made him a sweety, too. I loved the story between him and Renee.

It's a sorry day.

cjh

10:39 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: yeah that one took me by surprise too!
He was impressive that's for sure! I love finding a young Philip Carey in a western!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I think it's time for a streak of good news, don't you?

11:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: you got that right! I hate doing these posts but at the same time I hate to see these talented people leave without being noticed. They gave us much of their life and talent..and I know I'll miss them.

11:59 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I didn't know of his work, but it's still so sad...hopefully that's the end of the bad news! And personally, I like these posts, so don't ever feel like you're doing them too much :) Well, I don't know if "like" is the right word, but I would never know of some of these deaths if you didn't share them with us. And I'd never know of some of their work if you didn't share it with us!

12:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: I guess it just bothers me ..a lot.. when someone dies. In the case of the actors, they leave behind their movies and tv shows and voices in ads.. but it's so emotional to me to know they are gone.. i'm not sure why! I mean I know why DeForest! I knew him personally, but I don't know these actors personally yet I miss them as if I do/ did. Gosh I hope there are no more for a while. I man not hear of every one of them but when I do I will always post , because they deserve it.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Too much death around at the moment. I know it's normal for there to be a lot of deaths in the very elderly at this time of year but it's hard when it's people from the entertainment industry that you've come to love over the years. {{{HUGS}}} to you, Pat.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I learn so much from you. I always thought Clint looked too old , too

I like ASA, ha ha ha -- I watched that show when I was on maternity leave for my daughters waaaaaaaaaaaay back when.

5:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath:you just want to say, "enough already! stop!" sheesh..

Hi Pamela: yes, these shows have been on since before I married! Well the "young clint" in the photo couldn't be too young even then since he played Vickie's husband and Erika Slezak (Vickie) is 63.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I used to watch him on the show! this is sad, so many good actors passing away at once. thanks for mentioning it, because I hadn't heard about Carey's death yet. and you're right, they never really talked about why he left the show, that was satisfactory, since he was so good and manipulative (as the character, I mean!) He had presence.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:08 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Susan: yeah he was a good bad guy for sure!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home