My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 02, 2009

Barnes and Noble

Yesterday David wanted to go see a movie (Slumdog Millionaire).  For whatever reasons, I was not in the mood for a movie, but when he told me he was going to the complex of theaters in Nutley, I knew that was the same shopping area that had a big Barnes and Noble!

I thought it would be nice to wander alone and look at all the sales and such and then have a Cappuccino and relax for a bit, so I told him he could drop me off and then go to the movie and pick me up when it's over.. that would give me two hours in the books store!

Part of me shuttered as I never seem to walk out of a book store without spending money I shouldn't be spending!.. but of course, I went anyway!

This was a good chance for me to really look around the book store.   I headed, of course, to the sale tables first, where I found a little book ( 6 x 7 1/2) with lots of pics of movies.  I put it in my basket, having in mind that I would continue to shop and then when I went for coffee and to sit a bit, I'd flip through it, look at all the pictures and not buy it.  (yeah yeah, not the nicest but then I knew there was nothing in this book that I couldn't find on IMDb.com !)

I went over all the sales tables... nada.  This shocked me, I always find at least one or two books to series I am reading.. but .. nada.

Ok, so then I went to parts of the store that I never seem to get too because I get tired and am ready to go home.  I searched movie and tv books and art books , though tempted here and there the prices kept me from bundling them into my carry-basket.

Then it was upstairs to the children's books and sci-fi/ fantasy and literary fiction.  In the children's department I saw many (too many!) books that's I've already read, and in the sci-fi / fantasy I picked up and looked at some books I had on my amazon wish list to see if they looked at good as they sounded.  But, I set those back too since there would be quite a savings getting them from Amazon, and there was not chance I'd have "nothing to read while waiting".

I went back downstairs and checked my watch.. the two hours had flown by!!  But.. but.. I hadn't even sat down and had my Cappuccino!!  Nor did I flip through the one and only book in my basket!!   I had but 15 minutes until David would be coming by.. so I went and bought the one book! (*shaking my head at myself!*) and went to meet David.. I didn't wait but 5 minutes or so and he picked me up.

So.. here is the one book I purchased... it's small in stature but it's made on high quality glossy paper.. I have to say once home and looking in the book, I am glad I bought it.. it's been a long time since I had books like this (at one time I owned a number of them but moving cross country made me not pack as much as I wanted ).

Must See Movies and Essential Guide by Ward Calhoun

 Having looked it up on Amazon, I got one hellava deal! 

1 Used & new from $34.17 .. hardback (on Amazon)

1 Used & new from 37.99... paperback (on Amazon)

Mine is a paperback (hard paperback if that makes sense)543 pages and I paid 12.99 for it!

The following pictures are samples inside the little book.. as Gollum would say, "It's Precious!".. and a keeper for sure.

As you can see.. a very wide variety of movies...  I was amazed to find there were some I have actually not seen!  And some that I can't remember the last time they appeared on television and wonder why!

But most of all.. I amazed myself spending two whole hours in Barnes and Noble and only walking out with ONE book!! If it wouldn't hurt to do it, I'd pat myself on my back!  :o) It's doubtful that miracle will ever happen twice in a row!

13 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

A good two hour pastime for you. I know it was nice to get out and you got a bargain book to boot.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm really pleased you treated yourself, Pat, and that the book turned out to be something you love and such a good bargain. Go you! Amazing how quickly two hours goes, eh? I think all us book fiends have no trouble understanding that.

9:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

HI Helen.. getting out and not spending a lot of money.. it's a Miracle! lol

Cath: yeah alone is good too! Normally I spend more than enough time at the sale tables and just the fantasy section that I never get to see other parts of the books store! I can finally say I hit all the area's!... except for the coffee shop.. i really wanted a cappucciano!! grrrrr lol

9:41 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

You should be very proud of yourself! And I'm glad you bought the book. :)

11:00 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You have the discipline of a saint Pat! Two hours in Barnes and Noble and only 1 book?! I don't even want to think about what I'd walk out with after spending 2 hours in a bookstore :p It wouldn't be pretty though, lol....and it just may set me off balance and knock me down as well.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

That WAS a great deal! And the book looks very interesting. I could spend hours and hours at bookstores too...time flies when I'm in one.

4:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: Shocked is more like it Debi lol

Chris: no I don't lol.. I just don't feel the "need" for lots of new books because I have so many in tbr pile! So mainly my mind is just on any new ones coming out for the different series I am reading.. I picked up a few books but I know I have to get better and not buy as much, I say this after 3 books came in the mail yesterday LOL.. hell.

Nymeth: I was really surprised to see those used prices on amazon for this little book!! Incredible!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

you deserved that great deal

9:19 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How Great, Pat! And it certainly does look like a WONDERFUL Book....! Book Stores have always been "danger" places for me, too...I CANNOT go to one and walk out with nothing---even though I want to....lol! Amazon has become my "bookstore" and I do love it. But, it is pretty dangerous too...lol!
What a terrific afternoon you had!

1:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Pam: I knew it was a sale price but what makes something like that book go up in price when it's no longer "available??" sheesh lol

Hi Naomi. Oh boy Amazon is far worse for me than walking into a book store! But I do love to see all the books and touch them!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Wow! You got a real steal there. Love all the pictures and the way the book is laid out. That was time well spent...although Slumdog is a great movie!

1:43 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Carl:.. yeah i know. I don't know why I didn't go to the movie. guess I just didn't feel like sitting, it certainly wasn't because it's Oscar nominated.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'll have to see about ordering this from my library! I couldn't spend 2 hours in a bookstore without taking more than one book home that's for sure!

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home