My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

A Closer Look at the Anhinga

I decided to get up close and more personal with the  Anhinga the other day. 

I had noticed from my window that she/he (I can't really tell without the zoom lens on)  was sunning herself so me and my camera took  little stroll.

From her sunning position, I came up on her from behind.

She sensed my appearance and quickly drew her wings in for a fast getaway. You can see it's a "she" by the brown neck.  (and yes for those who remember I did the sexes wrong before, I fixed it in comments but probably few noticed... it's the female that has a brown neck, the male is all black)

Take a look at those big webbed feet for all the swimming underwater she does.

When she saw that I wasn't making any moves to indicate danger to her... she decided to pose for me... with a bit of an attitude, like "oh if you must.... hurry and take your picture"!  (I felt a bit snubbed!)

I took the opportunity to take one more closer shot..  she kept her eye on me at all times.

Before I put my camera away the very small Heron (calling it that because of the head tuft but I am pretty sure according to the bird book that it's a tricolor heron) made an appearance and hung around long enough for me to take a few shots.

... and then I got a nice "reflection" of the Egret..

Well....that's it for this episode of Around the Pond.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

My God, Pat, these are stunning. You're turning into quite the wildlife photographer. I love the one where she's posing, and those feet! lol. The reflection shot is so beautiful - really nicely captured. Already looking forward to more and wondering what you'll see there in the winter...

7:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath.. they are slow moving birds or I'd never get the pictures lol.. I don't know if the birds change in the winter cath.. i mean really.. the temps only go from being in the 90's to being in the 80s LOL although my girlfriend said last winter down here was cold and long.. to me that means it may have gotten into the 70's!! Truthfully there used to be only maybe 3 weeks of weather where you MIGHT wake up to frost on the grass.. it doesn't last long.. it could as far as I am concerned!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pat, it was "cold" in Fla. last winter. In Lehigh Acres, we had quite a few nights were it got to 38. Days, not above 58. Something for you to look forward to ! I do LOVE your photo. Is your camera digital?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I just can't tell you how much I enjoy your photos, Pat!!! That third one totally cracks me up...you're right, it really does look like she's posing for you and telling to just get on with it already.

8:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Janet! well I hope it's cold this winter down here too!!! still, florida cold is different than nj cold.

Debi:yeah! snotty isn't she?! lol

9:02 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I agree with everyone else, Pat, your photos are amazing. I love the egret reflection one. And I love seeing birds that I don't get to see around here!

cjh

1:31 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I particularly love the last one! Your feathered neighbours are the coolest :D

2:12 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Another amazing set of pics :) I just love the picture of that bird posing for you, lol. That cracked me up.

2:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: i just don't want to border on being too repetative with the few birds that keep coming here. glad you like them !

Nymeth: reflections are always a good shot lol

Chris: yeah snotty bird! lol

2:37 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I agree they are stunning. You might have to start another blog -- just for your new sport of bird watching

11:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: nah.. i don't read fast enough to only have books on my blog so they can help be fillers!

11:19 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE all the pictures of the birds, but ESPECIALLY the one of The Egret....I LOVE and ADORE Reflection pictures of Birds! What a treat it is Pat, to see all these wonderful visitors you have with that Pond!

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

That is such a gorgeous bird, Pat. And it's amazing she let you get so close!

And the heron and the egret are wonderful too, but the anhinga is definitely the star of the photo shoot with her posing. ^-^

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home