My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Moorhen Happiness

Ok.. so after I delivered the unhappy news about a Moorhen baby gone missing... (and I did wait two days and both days the Moorhens were out but with only 3 babies instead of 4)..  This morning I look out , and count as I always do and... and... the fourth baby is back!!!!

I got so excited I took way more than needed pictures..heh.. big surprise huh?

above: is Papa.  I can tell because for some reason his wings are shorter than Mama's are.. it's strange but he's a good daddy.. he won't eat out of my hands but comes close and talks to me making all sorts of noises in his throat.. I gotta love him lol.

I got some really decent closeups of one or two of the babies.  (note: no more bald spot and they really jumped up in size!)

...now they are actually sorta cute.. and still funny with the oversized feet they all have.

In the sun they look browner.. but they mostly look dark..not sure why the big color contrast between sun and shade today.. out in the pond they look nearly black.

meanwhile... papa is getting awfully chummy with mama again!

and she seems to like it enough to preen him!  (she's asking for it!)

and finally!... here they are!  Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo!

Want to know what happened to the missing baby?

While I was taking photo's of the birds one of the tenants  came by to feed them .  He said a few days ago he saw a Hawk swoop down and carry off one of the babies!!   A Hawk!   Then another tenant FOUND the baby near the woods two days later, and returned it to the pond!.. it must have fallen from the Hawks grasp!  Talk about a lucky Chick!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Oh my goodness! That chick used at least three of its nine lives with that escapade! It's unbelievable that someone found it near the woods. Wow. Great story and pics, Pat.

8:13 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: blew my mind when I heard it.. had to believe it cause the chick was gone for two days while the rest of the family swam and ate as usual.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Awwww...what a heart-warming story! Makes that last photo of all the siblings together even sweeter!!!

8:20 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

So cute...that poor little thing is probably traumatized by that big mean hawk!

4:00 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

What great pictures and what an amazing story! What I find amazing is the fact that, as you said, life goes one without missing a beat in nature. I'm so glad they're back together and boy, they sure have grown!

cjh

4:11 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

No telling how far that baby fell if the hawk dropped it. Something or someone must have scared the hawk since it did not eat it. Glad they are all back. That is one lucky chick. They have really grown. Great pictures Pat. Helen

7:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi/chris/ cj/ helen.. amazing story I know!.. plus even I couldn't get over the fact that their "bald head" is gone and they have "feathers" on their little bald wings! It was overnight that they grew so big!!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

Wahey! Rescued moorhen chick! (They look so cute...)

8:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

shanra: little bodies and big feet.. they are comical!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home