My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 01, 2011

What Alice Knew

perilthefirst2011[1] 

(This is my 4th book for RIP/ Peril the First)

  What Alice Knew by 

Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark;(September 1, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1402243553

whatalice[1]

From Booklist

At the request of Scotland Yard, American philosopher William James, an expert in the science of the mind, travels to London to assist in solving the Jack the Ripper case. Once in London, William has access to the evidence collected at the crime scenes, and he travels with Inspector Abberline to interview witnesses. He then shares the particulars of the case with his brother, novelist Henry, and his sister, Alice, who is bedridden but feels she can still contribute to the identification of the madman. The story is told from multiple points of view, and Cohen seamlessly blends fact and fiction into fascinating looks at late-nineteenth-century London, the Jack the Ripper case, and the lives of the James siblings. In addition, she weaves in provocative details about the philosophy, literature, and art of the era and makes room for cameo appearances by such real-life figures as Oscar Wilde, John Singer Sargent, and Walter Sickert, once thought a suspect in the Ripper killings. For fans of historical fiction as well as historical mysteries.

Through no fault of the book my reading has been at an all time low, but I finally finished What Alice Knew, and  I have to agree with the Amazon review when it is said that the blend of truth and fiction was done very well.

At first I thought the book was a little slow but then I settled into the speed of the story and was quite content with it. 

The story unfolded more at a pace in which real life would have it happening rather then overdone speed.  The belief that Sickert was the Ripper seemed quite spot on and then the detection of another was tossed in so well you wondered why it wasn’t thought of before.

The character of Alice was interesting. It wasn’t until the end of the book that you really wondered why she was bedridden most of her life.

I did enjoy the fact that besides Jack the Ripper a number of other characters were real for the time period of the storyline.  I know many don’t like when real famous people such as Wilde are used in fictional stories but as long as they are kept true to what is know about them I seem to enjoy recognizing names like that.

The book was a good read.  I should have been able to read it much faster but as I mentioned I am at a low at the moment.  My reading and taking photo’s and trying to do one more small edit and print out of my own story have all come down to a snails pace. 

However, I have fulfilled my obligatory 4 books for RIP and weather it be one more book or 4 more books (doubtful ) I will continue to read more for RIP!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this one last year for RIP! It was a good enough read but it really didn't stick with me.

10:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi lola: me either really.. i enjoyed it but it's not in the "i'll read it again pile". but didn't want to say that since I just haven't been into my reading lately, so it could be me lol

11:52 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What an interesting idea to take "well known" famous people and write a ficttional account of how you think thet might behave in a given situation--In this book, with such a famous murderer, too.
I know very little about Henry James except for his writinb...I wonder how accurate it all really is...?

1:51 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How the hell did that 'b' get in there...lol....
that should be WRITING....!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I read this at some point, too. It was good at the time, but I can just barely remember it now...

9:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Sounds okay but not one for me to rush out and buy tomorrow maybe. ;-)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sounds like a good read and congratulations on completing your challenge!

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home