My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Nothing like a few Fire Engines to get ones attention…

Last night I was in bed watching television. (9:30 ish)  I noticed my cat sitting by my bedroom door looking towards the living room afraid to go there.  I got up and flipped on the living room light, saw nothing and turned to go back to bed when I heard banging on my door and finally my battery operated “doorbell”.

Since I know no one who would be banging on my door at 9:30 at night I called out, “who’s there?”.  No one answered but then I saw a flashlight by my glass sliding door. That made me somewhat uneasy!  I peeked out to see a young fireman!  (huh?)  I smelled no smoke but went and opened the door.  There were quite a few people (firemen, police, neighbors) in the breezeway including my neighbor in her scooter with her oxygen.

Eventually I discovered that a pipe had broken and her apartment and the one above her were flooded!  The next thing I knew the firemen were coming in to inspect my apartment! (glad I vacuumed today!) 

Sure enough water was dripping from my ceiling in my eating area and carpeting was soaked from the wall to about 36 inches away from it!   (great, just great…but far better then my neighbors apartments!)

engine1[1]

engine3[1]

The Police and Fire departments stayed around over an hour and a half.  The neighbor went to a friends apartment for the night… her place had maybe 1/2 inch of water over her entire apartment… so did the man upstairs above her who is away on vacation.  What a shock he’s in for when he returns!!

They deemed my apartment safe to have the electric on but water was turned off… I decided not to uproot BooBoo Kitty to some motel for the night.

The Firemen were fantastic!  They even filled a big garbage can full of pond water so I could “flush my toilet” !

Boy how quickly one forgets how many times they used the bathroom!  And no water to wash up when you wake in the morning.  I have some bottles of water so I am able to have my Cafe Vienna! (or I might scream!)

So for the night I was one of only 2 apartments that stayed the night.  I sure hope someone notifies the water company and they fix it today, although their maintenance person said no one would do anything until Monday!   I am crossing my fingers that he’s wrong!

9 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Glad that everyone was safe.

9:22 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I hope they can fix it today, Pat! Having someone bang on your door that late had to be kind of unsettling, to say the least.....
Hope you get your water back, quickly, my dear.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Thaank goodness it was water and not fire. And that you're safe. Hope they fix it today, not funny being without water. Good that firemen were fantastic.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am glad everyone is safe! I hope you have your water back soon!

12:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks everyone... !!

3:10 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh no Pat!! I'm glad that you escaped with as little damage as you did but I'm so sorry that everyone else had all that damage and all of that disruption :( Hope things get back to normal for you soon!!!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, that's awful!!! But I am so relieved that despite the inconvenience of it all that none of your possessions were harmed. And especially that no one was physically injured. I do hope that things are repaired and back to normal by now!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

What a mess. So glad it wasn't a fire thought and glad that you didn't get the worst of it, especially with all your precious things that could have been damaged. What an adventure, though the kind I'm sure you would have rather not had. Yikes. I feel so sorry for your neighbor who is on vacation.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, sounds like a terrible inconvenience. My place flooded from my washing machine last spring and I had to spend 11 days in a hotel. It was the kind of adventure that I can do without! I hope your place is dry and back to normal Pat!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home