My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl.

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; 1ST edition (2009)

ASIN: B004SYNUFG

Pages: 563

creatures[1]

Book Description

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

This book has been on my shelf for a loooong time!  So long that I forgot why I bought it!  So you might say I went into this YA book nearly blind (I did read the inside flap!)

If someone said to me.. this is a book about a teenage boy who falls in love with the new girl in town even though she’s a bit strange I probably would never have picked up the book.

But from the very beginning these two authors had me .  Their writing is really enjoyable.  They tell their story and toss in a bit of humor now and then and make “unusual” even more unusual if that’s possible!

Ethan and his “family” and Lena and her family are both a bit strange.  And the more you read the stranger they get !   Even though you pretty much figure out just how strange Lena is, they continually come up with some surprises so I can honestly say this book moves at nearly warp speed! 

No sooner would I put it down than I’d want to pick it up again! 

Like I said, I am not into teenage romance so it certainly wasn’t that aspect that kept me reading.  It was exceptional writing and things happened so fast you always wanted to know “what next” …and you found out pretty fast!

Without giving much away I will say I enjoyed the characters very much ..I wish I could remember who reviewed it long ago that made me buy it but I can’t believe I waited so long to read it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Hmm, another 'southern' book, Pat. Gatlin... I wonder if that's meant to be Gatlinburg or is there a 'Gatlin' in the south too? Any idea which state it's supposed to be? I like the sound of it.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I liked this, but didn't love it. With the movie I have been thinking I should really have read the rest of the series...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I think I just saw a commercial for a movie of this one? Or I am confused...not sure. I think it's already on my list but will check. Sounds interesting.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home