My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

A Natural History of Dragons

once7mainbanner200_zps4cd62b43[2]

Book 3 for Once Upon a Time…

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Tor Books;(February 5, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0765331969

bk-1_zpsde4550f5[1]

 

Book Description

Marie Brennan begins a thrilling new fantasy series in A Natural History of Dragons, combining adventure with the inquisitive spirit of the Victorian Age.
You, dear reader, continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart—no more so than the study of dragons itself. But such study offers rewards beyond compare: to stand in a dragon’s presence, even for the briefest of moments—even at the risk of one’s life—is a delight that, once experienced, can never be forgotten. . . .

All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, know Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world’s preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she became the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and, yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day.
Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.

A very enjoyable book!  I wasn’t sure what directions this book would take but I totally enjoyed it! There’s just something about when a book takes place in Victorian Times that’s fascinating.

The book is written as a Memoir and begins with a young Marie Brennan having a fascination with how animals fly and then, thanks to her fathers books, she became enamored with Dragons.

When she became of age to find a husband Marie gets extremely lucky and finds a man who also loves dragons and admires the fact that Marie is so knowledgeable.  (Most men don’t want an intelligent woman)  Along with becoming her husband he becomes her biggest advocate to have the right to learn as much as she can.

The book shows how the Victorian woman were to be wives and mothers and not much of anything else and yet Marie beats all the odds.   It is interesting to see how others feel about a woman having such interests and even pursuing them.  What was really nice was the fact that although her father could (would?) not actually voice is opinion you knew he was delighted with his daughter.

I did not grow up in a time when woman couldn’t “at least try” to do jobs that were thought to be only for men.. but it also wasn’t a “given”.  I can’t imagine living in Victorian times under the pressures the woman had to live back then.

The book is written very well and you certainly get the feeling you are reading a true memoir!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I've been eyeing this up and seeing other people mention it for weeks now. I even put it on my wishlist. You liked it so I'll treat myself sometime soon. It sounds brilliant.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

This just sounds so darn good! Glad you enjoyed it, Pat! :)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Divers and Sundry said...

i found your link at the once upon a time challenge review site. i had never heard of this book. but now i'm intrigued. sounds like such fun!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I've wondered about this one. I love novels--but I don't particularly like memoirs and I definitely don't like natural history. So while it's clearly fantasy, I can't quite tell where the writing style falls...

10:53 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I so hope my library has this one, I am making a trip tomorrow night, so fingers crossed!! I enjoyed your review, Pat, and how much you enjoyed the mix of fantasy with memoir. I have high hopes of enjoying this! So glad you did too.

11:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

marvelousales: it's not much "history" as the telling of her life as her interest in dragons goes and an adventure to find out some of that information.

Susan: I hope if you get it that you enjoy it!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I so want to read this! I also read a really good review of it over at Little Red Reviewer and I think it's right up my alley!
Must get a copy soon before I burst with anticipation (that won't be pretty!)
Lynn :D

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really want to read this. I have it but just haven't got around to reading it yet...

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home