My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Throne of Jade

 

once7mainbanner200_zps4cd62b43[2]

(Book 7 of Once Upon a Time)

Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik.

Paperback 398 pgs
Publisher: Del Rey; (2006)
ISBN-10: 0345481291

 

jade_zpsd9c9ea3a[1] novik_zpsd4c0959e[1]

(298 pgs in trade paperback size)

Review:

When Britain intercepted a French ship and its precious cargo–an unhatched dragon’s egg–Capt. Will Laurence of HMS Reliant unexpectedly became master and commander of the noble dragon he named Temeraire. As new recruits in Britain’s Aerial Corps, man and dragon soon proved their mettle in daring combat against Bonaparte’s invading forces.
Now China has discovered that its rare gift, intended for Napoleon, has fallen into British hands–and an angry Chinese delegation vows to reclaim the remarkable beast. But Laurence refuses to cooperate. Facing the gallows for his defiance, Laurence has no choice but to accompany Temeraire back to the Far East–a long voyage fraught with peril, intrigue, and the untold terrors of the deep. Yet once the pair reaches the court of the Chinese emperor, even more shocking discoveries and darker dangers await

So.. I ventured out once again with Temeraire and Laurence while the Chinese discover one of their precious Dragons is in the hands of a “nobody” and using him for “war” instead of treating him in the high regard that the Chinese hold them..  So they go to England to claim Temeraire as their own and to take him back to China.  They didn’t figure on the bond between Laurence and Temeraire. 

That bond is what kept me reading book two.  Although surprising things  happen along the way to China, it is the building of the bond between Laurence and Temeraire that is the best part of both of the books that I have read.  I needed to know that even the Prince from China could not alter that bond.  But did that happen? Tsk, tsk.. I”m not telling!

Both of the Tereraire books I have enjoyed.  I love the dragons. Much different from any others I’ve read about and well characterized in Naomi’s writings.

As much as I’ve liked both books I am breaking away from reading book 3 and letting myself read something away from books such as these.  Generally I have to read to the end which is only one more book, but I feel the need for a break.  So I may well read something that isn’t even Fantasy. (*gasp!) Have no fear, I am ahead of the game.. I signed up to read one book and I’ve read 6 plus added one audio (7 total). I will most likely be back to another Fantasy book before OUaT is over!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

You read my mind, Pat. I was just going to answer your email and ask how you're getting on with book 2. LOL A change is as good as a rest as we say here and I too do not want to read just fantasy for 3 months. That said, I'm halfway through The Ship of Magic and it's good but slow going. I'm guessing I won't be done with it until the end of this week. The print is small too and that does not help. Glad you're at least liking these books a bit.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Sounds like a break from the series is just what you need. And hey, there's nothing says that you can't come back to book 3 somewhere down the road if you get the notion, right?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Sometimes you need a break I think. I've started reading the Farseer Trilogy - and I have the second and third books just sat teasing me - but I'm not going to rush in and read them all at once. I think I'll space them out. Although I did love the first.
Lynn :D

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home