My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Beyond the Wild River

Beyond the Wild River by Sarah Maine.
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Atria Books (April 18, 2017)
ISBN-10: 1501126954


 

Amazon Review
A highly atmospheric and suspenseful historical novel, set in the 1890s about a Scottish heiress who unexpectedly encounters her childhood friend in North America, five years after he disappeared from her family’s estate the night of a double murder.
Nineteen-year-old Evelyn Ballantyre has rarely strayed from her family’s estate in the Scottish Borderlands, save for the occasional trip to Edinburgh, where her father, a respected magistrate, conducts his business—and affairs of another kind. Evelyn has always done her duty as a daughter, hiding her boredom and resentment behind good manners—so when an innocent friendship with a servant is misinterpreted by her father as an illicit union, Evelyn is appalled.
Yet the consequence is a welcome one: she is to accompany her father on a trip to North America, where they’ll visit New York City, the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago, and conclude with a fishing expedition on the Nipigon River in Canada. Now is her chance to escape her cloistered life, see the world, and reconnect with her father.
Once they’re on the Nipigon, however, Evelyn is shocked to discover that their guide is James Douglas, the former stable hand and her one-time friend who disappeared from the estate after the shootings of a poacher and a gamekeeper. Many had assumed that James had been responsible, but Evelyn never could believe it. Now, in the wilds of a new world, far from the constraints of polite society, the truth about that day, James, and her father will be revealed…to stunning consequences.


Well this was a bit different, and I enjoyed it!
They kept the answers slow in coming but the rest of the story wasn't bad.  Atmospheric, and well described how a young lady is raised and expected to act "back in the day".  And then dropping them in a nearly unexplored forest where conveniences are far apart and very small. I would call it a shock to the system to go from one sort of life to another.. and still stay well dressed like they aren't in the wilds of a forest with animals and mud and raging rivers.
Not a bad book.  I read it while I had no electricity from the hurricane! 

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Like the sound of this and you know me and books set in the US... especially historical ones. Will look it up.

Glad that hurricane's gone!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home