My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

The Meaning of Night: A Confession

 The Meaning of Night (A Confession) by Michael Cox.

 

Paperback : 720 pages
ISBN-13 : 978-0393330342
Publisher : W. W. Norton & Company; Reprint Edition (October 17, 2007)

 

 

Amazon Review:

 

The atmosphere of Bleak House, the sensuous thrill of Perfume, and the mystery of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell all combine in a story of murder, deceit, love, and revenge in Victorian England.

"After killing the red-haired man, I took myself off to Quinn's for an oyster supper." So begins the "enthralling" (Booklist, starred review) and "ingenious" (Boston Globe) story of Edward Glyver, booklover, scholar, and murderer. As a young boy, Glyver always believed he was destined for greatness. A chance discovery convinces him that he was right: greatness does await him, along with immense wealth and influence. Overwhelmed by his discovery, he will stop at nothing to win back a prize that he knows is rightfully his.

Glyver's path to reclaim his prize leads him from the depths of Victorian London, with its foggy streets, brothels, and opium dens, to Evenwood, one of England's most beautiful and enchanting country houses, and finally to a consuming love for the beautiful but enigmatic Emily Carteret. His is a story of betrayal and treachery, of death and delusion, of ruthless obsession and ambition. And at every turn, driving Glyver irresistibly onward, is his deadly rival: the poet-criminal Phoebus Rainsford Daunt.

The Meaning of Night is an enthralling novel that will captivate readers right up to its final thrilling revelation.

 

At the moment I own but two books by Michael Cox, which I have read before and am rereading them now.

This is quite a long book but, the author writes with precision and leaves out nothing that you don't find out sooner or later.

It is a "story". Murder is involved, but the long story that goes along with the decision that is made, tells the entire story.  It may seem slow to some people reading it but it held me so as to be sure I read it all.  It took me a long time as health and other priorities kept me from finishing it sooner.

The top bold paragraph let's you know if you might like this book or not.  I liked it enough to get a second book of his called The Glass of Time.  If anyone reading this has read it before I'd like very much to hear what you thought of it.

Now, on to The Glass of Time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Yes! My review is here:

https://read-warbler.blogspot.com/2010/11/meaning-of-night.html

I thought it was amazing. Written like Wilkie Collins would've written it in my opinion. What loss that he died at 61.

6:15 PM  
Blogger sarah rita said...

Good day to all viewer online am so happy sharing this great testimony on how i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr OBUDU the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals Herpes Simplex Virus,so I contacted him base on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you email ; drobuduherbalhome@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP +2349023428871 Website: https://drobuduherbalhome.wixsite.com/welcometoobuduherbal and so he can cure types of diseases like,HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM CAM HIV/STDS FIBROSIS LOST OF WEIGHT .. all thank to you Dr OBUDU for your kindly help in my life 

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home