My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, March 12, 2022

The Return of the Pharaoh

 

The Return of the Pharaoh: From the Reminiscences of John H. Watson, M.D.

by Nicholas Meyer

 

  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Minotaur Books (November 9, 2021)
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 272 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 125078820X

 

 

Amazon review:

 

In Nicholas Meyer's The Return of the Pharaoh, Sherlock Holmes returns in an adventure that takes him to Egypt in search of a missing nobleman, a previously undiscovered pharaoh's tomb, and a conspiracy that threatens his very life.


With his international bestseller, The Seven Per Cent Solution, Nicholas Meyer brought to light a previously unpublished case of Sherlock Holmes that reinvigorated the world's interest in the first consulting detective. Now, many years later, Meyer is given exclusive access to Dr. Watson's unpublished journal, wherein he details a previously unknown case.


In 1910, Dr. John Watson travels to Egypt with his wife Juliet. Her tuberculosis has returned and her doctor recommends a stay at a sanitarium in a dry climate. But while his wife undergoes treatment, Dr. Watson bumps into an old friend--Sherlock Holmes, in disguise and on a case. An English Duke with a penchant for egyptology has disappeared, leading to enquiries from his wife and the Home Office.


Holmes has discovered that the missing duke has indeed vanished from his lavish rooms in Cairo and that he was on the trail of a previous undiscovered and unopened tomb. And that he's only the latest Egyptologist to die or disappear under odd circumstances. With the help of Howard Carter, Holmes and Watson are on the trail of something much bigger, more important, and more sinister than an errant lord.

 

Nicholas Meyer has written 3 other Sherlock Holmes books, all of which I own and have enjoyed over time.  He also wrote and directed a Star Trek movie with the original cast.  I was privileged to have met him on the Paramount lots when he was directing Star Trek VI, The Undiscovered Country.

In this book Sherlock is in Egypt.  Since I watch (over and over) all of the National Geographic series about Egypt and all the tombs, I think I enjoyed this book even more, since I recognized most all the names of the cities/ areas where they were!  It was easy for me to visualize the places.

Nicholas Meyer is really a good writer, and his books on Sherlock all sound like Arthur Conan Doyle wrote them!   It's not a long book but I found it very enjoyable... you might too!