My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Hardcover: 480 pages
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books (October 1, 2008)
ISBN-10: 015206396X

Amazon.com Review
If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Oh boy.. ok.. well.. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the fall when the next book by Kristin Cashore comes out!

The first few chapters in this book left me wondering if I would really get into it.  The book jumped right into action with our protagonist being labeled a killer and not knowing much more about her, I was .. well.. uncertain.

Then.. slowly and unknowingly, I was being drawn into this book.. and by page 80 when Po became an interest to me, I knew it would be a book I would enjoy!

(excerpt: page 80..........)

"Why do you trust me," she said, "when I left you lying on the floor of Murgon's courtyard?"

He rolled over and sat up, groaning.  He massaged his shoulder.  "Because I woke up.  You could've killed me, but you didn't."  He touched his cheekbone and winced.  "Your face is bleeding."  He stretches out his hand to her jaw, but she waved it aside and stood.

"I doesn't matter," she said.  "Come with me, Prince Greening."

He heaved himself to his feet. "It's Po."

"Po?"

"My name. It's Po."

Katsa watched him for a moment as he swung his arms and tested out his shoulder joints.  He pressed his side and groaned.  His eye was swelling, and blackening, she thought, though it was hard to tell in the darkness.  His sleeve was torn, and he was covered with dirt, absolutely smeared from hear to foot.  She knew she looked the same.. worse, really, with her messy hair and bare feet... but it only made her smile.

"Come with me, Po. she said, " I'll take you to your grandfather."

That was the defining moment when I knew I wanted to know more of Katsa ..and of Po! 

I don't want to give a lot away, but I will say this book about as much adventure as you can possibly want... and..  a love story!   ..but don't worry, it's nothing like a "romance novel" !!

I really am anxious to read the next book, and although Graceling wraps things up very neatly, I was hoping that the next book, entitled Fire would bring Katsa and Po back again.  But upon finding Kristin Cashore's blog I discovered that Fire is a Prequel and indicates that only one character from Graceling is mentioned in the book... however, Fire is still sounding really good!!!  And I will continue hoping that she will find a way to continue the story of Katsa and Po!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There have been lots of rave reviews for this one around that I bought myself a copy. I am really looking forward to reading it and glad it's not too romance novel based. Thanks for sharing :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Rhinoa: noooo not "romance thing" but it is a love story and done very well! I love these characters and think you will too!

10:35 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I can't wait to read this one! I'm going to go check the library's site actually right now and see if they have it in...lord knows I don't need to buy anymore books :p

1:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: ya think? lol.. i adore you and wish you WERE my son!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This one's new to me and I like the sound of it. I love a good love story, as you know, just as long as it isn't too soppy. 2008... hmm... if I'm lucky one of the Devon libraries might just have it.

6:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath : i love "an impossible love" story :O)

7:03 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

The person who is reading this right now just has to bring it back and then it will finally be my turn at the library! I am looking forward to finally getting a chance to read it!

5:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: the are characters that are memorable, I am hoping she goes back to them..

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Memory said...

Apparently Katsa and Po will be back in the next book, which she's working on now! Bitterblue's the central character next time around, but they'll still play a role.

1:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

memory: Oh great! I don't know how you found that out but I'm really glad to hear that!!..
Fire sounds good too.. looking forward to getting it when it comes out

2:36 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

The whole premise of this has me itching to read it but I'm going to put off for a while so I can read a couple of them at once since I just know I'll enjoy them!

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Semi-related, is that sword in the picture there a bookmark?

Graceling is one of those books that I should put on my wishlist, but somehow stubbornly keep refusing to. *paperback girl* I'll get to it eventually.

I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed it, though! ^-^

9:20 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tink: I do that with some books too.. can't stand waiting all the time for "the next book"

libritouches... the sword comes out of the holder and it's a letter opener.. I should have showed it both ways.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

The more I read about this book, the more I want to read it! I love that excerpt. And I also love your little sword :D

3:15 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks Nymeth.. it was much better than i expected it to be.. really liked the characters!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I loved their relationship, their amazing compatibility and the complexity of it. That's too bad they won't be the focus of the next one, but you can bet I'll be excited to read whatever Cashore writes next.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did u get that bookmark? It looks really cool and fits with the story of graceling

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home