My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Weekend Assignment #151

Weekend Assignment #151: from John Scalzi.....Is Valentine's Day a genuinely romantic day? Or just a big commercial money pit into which romantic people fall? Go on, share how you really feel about the day -- whether you enjoy it, or feel like it's forced on you by greeting card companies, or fall somewhere in between those two poles.
Valentine's Day has never been an exceptional holiday for me. But over the eons I have lived, it's obviously a special day to many who choose this day for their Wedding Day! If I had married on that day I'm sure I'd feel differently.
But alas, it has gotten probably more commercial then Christmas! It does give me the feeling of "forced" to get a card and some token of love..and as we all know.. that should not be how one feels, be it one day or for the rest of our lives.
Extra credit: Suggest a nice romantic movie. Sense and Sensibility
For a Romantic movie I am choosing one of my all time favorites, Sense and Sensibility.
It may not be for everyone, since it is a period piece, but each and every time I watch this movie it brings me to the welling of fluid in my eyes.

The movie is from a novel written by Jean Austin, and the screenplay by Emma Thompson herself.
It's filled with really good actors .. doing really good acting!
Emma as Elinor Dashwood
Kate Winslet as Marianne Dashwood
Hugh Grant as Edwrd
Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon
and Greg Wise as Wiloghby
There's even a smaller part played by Hugh Laurie! What's not to like?.. nothing! It's a great and enjoyable movie. I strongly suggest you watch this movie and dare you to tell me it isn't romantic!

7 Comments:

Blogger SQT said...

Pride & Prejudice is one of my all time favorites. I need to get this one. I think Jane Austin was my kind of gal.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot Hugh Laurie...;-)

4:41 PM  
Blogger RK Sterling said...

Alan Rickman...yum... :)

On top of that, you've got the great Emma Thompson who is always fabulous.

I love this movie too. Good choice. :)

(Now for another good one: Truly, Madly, Deeply - also Rickman.)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I think St. Valentine's Day is a bit of harmless fun as longs as it's not taken overboard...when I was married I always prepared a special dinner by candlelight...three courses, wine, music etc. It was fun...didn't make the marriage last though! ;)

But I am a sucker for romance and am a romantic at heart.

9:24 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Lee, I had one husband who did bring home Valentine Day things - he was also very romantic and caring in lots of other ways - I would get single roses for no reason at all.

Sadly, after quite a long time married, he went off to 'romance' somebody else. So much for romance!

Seriously though, I believe the biggest pleasure people get from being a Valentine, is not the actual card, gift or occasion, it is more that OTHERS see you get it ... like a prize or something.

Sad world we live in - I am always pleased to see something that spreads a bit more love around us... and it's sort of like a special day, we could rename it 'International Day of Love' - or something?

Thanks DesLily,

I am not much of a movie fan - I find it very hard to sit still for the 2 hours - but I do have some fond movie memories, I thought An Officer and a Gentleman was special.

4:17 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

sqt..oh yes, Pride and Predjudice is a good one!

Julie: no I didn't forget him.. i goofed and fixed it lol..

Kate: ohhh thanks! I've never seen that one, and I do love alan rickman!

Lee: i got flowers once in my life from my X.. when we were separated!..go figure..

Della: Romance isn't everything afterall, is it?!.. sigh..
yes Officer and a Gentleman is another good movie!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I need to rent this. I've seen several versions of Pride and Predjucie (including the series from tv)

romance is my kinda movie

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home