My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One Last Mention...

I've been mentioning the Hollywood Walk of Fame a bit lately, so I thought I would inject a bit of History for it. I found the following on the web..
History
The Walk of Fame is a chronological history of the Hollywood-based entertainment industry and honors those who have made significant contributions in the categories of radio, television, motion pictures, recording and live performance.

The official nomination period is announced in the Hollywood Entertainment Trade publications and an appropriate news release is disseminated to the Los Angeles area print and broadcast media.
The Walk of Fame Committee meets annually. Nomination of an individual or group does not automatically equate to approval of a star in the Walk of Fame. Several hundred applications are reviewed annually, from which an undetermined number is selected. All nominated artists are carefully and objectively evaluated. Those not selected the first year will automatically roll over for a second review the following year. If it is not approved in the second year, nominees must be resubmitted
When nominating an individual or group, the sponsor must submit the nominee’s qualifications as well as contributions to the community and/or civic-oriented activities. The application must be accompanied by a biography (not exceeding two pages) and photograph of the nominee. Non-returnable samples of the nominee’s work may also be submitted (i.e. in the recording category – a music CD; Motion Picture – a DVD). After the Walk of Fame Committee has made its selections, the artist must be approved by the following agencies: the Board of Directors of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the Los Angeles City Board of Public Works, with the final approbation being the Los Angeles City Council.
Criteria for Star on the Walk of Fame
1. Professional achievement
2. Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment
3. Contributions to the community

The recipient must agree to attend the dedication ceremony.
In case of a fan nomination, a letter of agreement must be sent by celebrity management.
There is a five-year waiting period after death for nominations of deceased individuals. The Committee does not necessarily select posthumous honorees each year.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce makes every effort to schedule a dedication ceremony on the date requested by the honoree. A 60-day lead period is needed for required permits, the manufacturing of the star, and advance publicity.
Please be advised that if your nominee is selected and the induction does not take place within five years of the selection date, the nominee must be re-submitted during another voting period.
Just as a note: I wonder how Mr Trump got past the rules to get a star?
According to an article I found the Apprentice began 3 years ago...so he has not had a show for 5 years like is required.

COMMENTARY
By Andy Dehnart

MSNBC contributor
Updated: 7:06 p.m. ET Jan 8, 2007
When “The Apprentice” first debuted three years ago, it was a sensation even before it began.


Getting a star on the Walk of Fame has changed over the years. I remember when DeForest was told that he was nominated for one... he wasn't sure he wanted it.
When I asked him why he wouldn't want one, all he said was that it doesn't represent what it did long ago. I was never really sure what he meant by his remark. Although over the years when I have talked with others about the Walk of Fame, the term "political" was uttered many times.
I think the sentence: honors those who have made significant contributions in the categories of radio, television, motion pictures, recording and live performance says a lot. Most especially the words "significant contributions", which I am guessing has changed over the years.
I honestly don't feel that "reality tv" fits the category at all, though it does make some a celebrity of sorts. But one does not necessarily have talent to accomplish this.
I didn't mean to pick on Mr Trump in particular. He is, after all, not the only one that has received a star but doesn't really belong on the Walk of Fame. I guess it will always remain a mystery as to how some manage to get a star while others, much more worthy, do not.
Still the Hollywood Walk of Fame will always remain a tourist attraction in Hollywood... that much will never change. And if you ever go there, it is something you shouldn't miss!
'Till next time....
p.s. by the way if you ever DO go there, DeForest's star is located at 7021 Hollywood Blvd. Just so you know... heh


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting and giving me an idea for my reading list.
It's always so interesting to read what other bloggers post.
Are you excited about your California trip, or what?
To answer your question about Mr. Trump and his star: $$$$

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. (I usually can't think of everything in one post)... Be sure to check out the Fun Monday #3. The info is at my place. Second post down.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I've got nothing against Donald Trump, but I can't see how he is worthy of a star on the Walk of Fame. I agree with bdrlxp...dollars talk.

I think over the years the qualifications have changed and perhaps become more lax which is a pity.

6:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Swampwitch..thanks for coming by! Since it's the second time in 7 yrs I am getting away... ummm yes I'm thrilled!

Lee, the qualifications haven't changed in eons.. but as DeForest indicated, it's more "political" than it is what it is supposed to represent. A pity for sure.

6:30 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You know how I fel about the Walk Of Fame, Pat...And we all know what the true priorities are of The Committee!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I wanna be on the walk of fame. Actually, I just wanna come to California and enjoy the weather.

9:16 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi.. yes, the original idea for the walk of fame is how "tourists" see it. But their "politics" sure make it not what it's supposed to be.

Stewart: ah yes the weather in southern CA is terrific.. as long as you can avoid the quakes you'll do fine!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home