My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Fuzzybutt and Fizzgig

This morning when I happened to look outside my window, I saw a squirrel jutting across the street. Because a car was approaching he (she) ran her little legs off with it's tail swirling to help the momentum.
I chuckled to myself and thought, "fuzzybutt"..
The instant that word came into my head I remembered another.. Fizzgig.
Anyone remember that name?
Fizzgig was a small creature from Jim Henson's mind, that popped up in a little movie called The Dark Crystal. For some reason, this little creature's name stuck in my head. (it seems that unimportant stuff sticks better then stuff I should remember!) I took the below information from IMDb.
The Dark Crystal is Jim Henson's crowning achievement. The movie was originally released in 1983, and was the first non-muppet movie produced by the puppeteering geniuses. It's about a wild and mystical world dominated by a race of powerful beings. Through their arrogance, they tried to purge themselves of all their bad intentions and evil desires. Instead of removing the darkness from their souls, the beings were split into two races. The evil and cruel Skeksis, and the gentle and kind Mystics. It was then that the Crystal cracked, and became dark. From that time a prophecy was foretold, that a gelfling would come and repair the damage that was made. The Skeksis seeing this as the end of their way of life, decided to kill all gelflings to prevent this from ever happening. Jen who is regarded as the final gelfling is sent to heal the Dark Crystal before the great conjunction. He meets many strange creatures, and people on his journey including Augra, the keeper of secrets. She gives Jen vital information about the Crystal, as well as the shard itself. While looking for the Skekies' castle Jen encounters Fizzgig, and his owner Kira, who is also a gelfling. Together, they go to end the turmoil of the world. It's a very epic film, but still close to the heart. As a side note, during the course of the entire movie, not a single human is ever seen.
And if you don't want to take my word for how great this movie is, Jim Henson is quoted by saying that this was his most prized creation ever. (Of course that was before he made the movie Labyrinth which may have topped it.)
The Dark Crystal was re-released in 1999 with the movie re-mastered, as well as a special section of the Making of the Dark Crystal, which contains plenty of information on the movie, as well special interviews, and behind the scenes filming. It's pretty darn cool.
Then I remembered reading some time ago about a sequel to Dark Crystal was being made so I checked into it... and I'm glad I did. It will be a while before we see it but then, at least it does have a release date.

Plot summary for
The Power of the Dark Crystal (2008)
Set hundreds of years after the first movie, the sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of re igniting the dying sun.
Release Date:May 2008 (USA)
At least that is something to look forward to.
I really have to stop looking in the web though. And especially Ebay! I have no idea why I even look there since I don't have Paypal, so I can't buy anything. But I do look... and I REALLY must stop!
The other day I mentioned trying to get hard back books to replace my old paperbacks that are turning brown. While in Ebay I came across some of those hard back books.. or course.. (I must do this to torture myself!)
One of the books just blew me away! Let me explain. The book "Belgarath the Sorcerer" by David Eddings (and Polgara.. by Eddings) were listed by a man in Australia. Nothing new right? The cover art was to die for! I couldn't take my eyes off of it! The price (so far) was only 8 dollars. For unexplained reasoning (remember I have no Paypal) I emailed him and asked how much the shipping to America would be. I received the response this morning and nearly dirtied my pants! 35.00 to ship the book!!! Hello?!..
Tearfully I emailed him back, he already knew that would be "out of the question", but I did ask him who the artist was. He kindly responded once again. His name is Geoff Taylor. If you like artwork on Fantasy Fiction books, click the link and have a look at this guys work.. it's really REALLY nice!

*sigh* so after my heart went back to normal I had to watch the same pair of books (with the American art work) get sold for only 26.00. What is is called when you self inflict pain on yourself?.. I really need to delete all my browsers!
Oh, and one last bit of information... they finally released a photo of the last Harry Potter book cover... thankfully, ... it's not all black!

So.. my day began with a simple squirrel running across the street! From "Fuzzybutt and Fizzgig" to "Deathly Hallows"... and to think... it's still only morning!
Oh!.. and I saw my first Robin today... guess that means Spring is officially here.
'Till next time....


9 Comments:

Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

We call Caity Fizzgig...she looks like that when she is pissed

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to go back and see some of these movies that were around when I was a kid. I want to know what the adult me thinks of them.

I have seen robins all year round. I wonder what that means.

6:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

crunchy: LOL..a real cutie when she's mad huh?! lol

Jeff: Jim Henson's muppets were something else! I believe his son is overseeing the new Dark Crystal movie.
Robins all year huh?..must be nice.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the Dark Crystal. I have a copy of it. It is a little scary to show my kids yet, though.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Oooohhhh, the Dark Crystal was my movie!!! I need to pick that up on DVD. I remember it being so scary when i was a young Dragon pup.....

9:32 AM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Now that Jim Henson 'made a difference'. I am not a fantasy fan, but I do love the artwork, thanks for sharing the link.

You know, these exorbitant posting prices they charge on ebay are to cover the cost of the article, if the auction does not bring the desired price. I wanted to buy a gift the other day for my granddaughter's birthday. The seller only lives about 80k away, and they wanted $110 to deliver it! I bought something else...

I don't like to window-shop either, If I am not buying, DON'T LOOK! is my motto.

7:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

karmyn: I couldn't guess the age for the dark crystal anymore.. kids are so smart now.. sheesh

Kiyotoe: ahhh, found something you like eh? lol

Della: Well some on ebay used to take personal checks..but it's rare now. I'd get paypal but I keep getting emails saying to renew my paypal information.. and I don't even have paypal!.. the hackers for that must be unreal!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I inflict that kind of pain on myself all the time, too, Deslily! Oh! To be rich enough not to have to worry and to be able to get those things like that that we love. I tried to win last night's Lotto here..$21mAus...but of course, I'm still as poor today as I was yesterday!

Maybe next week.... ;)

12:49 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOL! Isn't it funny how one thought leads to another... the way the mind WORKS!

I don't ever go on Ebay ... my daughter found a saddle she just HAD to have on there one time, and talked her dad and I into purchasing it .... it was a disaster! I said NEVER again! And I meant it! I get frustrated when I'm surfing for something and "end up" at Ebay -- I won't be looking to "buy" the item -- just researching it, ya know - and before ya know it ... *click* EBAY! Grrrrrrrrr.....

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home