My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Cornelia Funke...

If you noticed on my sidebar, "what I am reading", lists another book by Cornelia Funke. This book is also listed as "pre-teen". So why I picked it up, I have no idea! Well, ok.. I did have an idea... I knew I enjoyed her Inkheart and Inkspell books, although I'll admit they were listed as "young adults" and not "pre-teen".
I have to say that I enjoyed not just her other story but the ease and pleasure I had in reading it. So I picked this up when I found it on sale in hard back form. I am almost finished with the book, reading it very slowly because once again I will be out of hard back books for the moment.
I will agree this is a good book for pre-teens. No.. make that an excellent book for a pre-teen.
Generally speaking I read almost nothing but fantasy books, with an occasional biography tossed in. So this story of a group of kids (most runaways) living in Venice and surviving by stealing doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.
I'm enjoying it.
Cornelia Funke has made it up there with young folks authors big time, as far as I am concerned. Not only that but this book "The Thief Lord" is already been made into a movie and out on DVD. Her book of Inkheart will follow next March, and since it is a trilogy I will assume we'll be hearing more of this very fine writer.

I looked up the DVD to see who was in it and I didn't know any of the names... but the story is so good I don't think it will matter much.
She's obviously made and impression to the movie makers since The Thief Lord, since the next movie from her books, Inkheart, will have some major actors and actresses, such as Brendon Frazier, (the Queen herself) Helen Mirren, and Andy Serkis. My guess would be that they expect Inkheart to have a good following. It should! The books are great!
Having said all of this, last night as I lay waiting to fall asleep, I was thinking of the Inkheart movie and realized it has been made by New Line Cinema. They also put out LOTR. That alone, gives kudos to the fact that they are jumping right in with both feet to the fact that although "Fantasy" doesn't much win Oscars (except for special effects).. that they DO make plenty of money!
So, I applaud New Line Cinema for taking a leap of faith.
It's a rainy day here in NJ today... so maybe I will go and read a bit more of Thief Lord.. I hope you enjoy your day.

'Till Next time....


4 Comments:

Blogger RK Sterling said...

Oh, how nice! I enjoyed Inkheart, but wasn't aware of The Thief Lord. I'll have to check it out - thanks mentioning it.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this - but The Thief Lord movie was very badly edited. (cut job horrible) It had some good points, but overall I was extremely disappointed with it.

11:41 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

What you write reminds me of reading when I WAS a pre-teen, or young adult, and how much enjoyment it brought me - so maybe it's not so strange to still enjoy them for the sheer 'adventure'. Interesting thought...

hahaha - you made me laugh with the 'reading slowly' - know exactly what you mean...

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

i agree with dellab, you are so enthusiastic about the stuff you write about, it's contagious and I dig that De!

But I'm biased, we're practically family!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home