My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Just a Quickie

Hello?! Any chance I could share my bed??

I somehow managed to squeeze on there and read this little book...

At The Firefly Gate by Linda Newbery

Hardcover: 152 pages
Publisher: David Fickling Books (March 13, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0385751133

What a neat little story this is!

Henry, a young boy about to enter 7th grade, moves with his parents to a village in Suffolk. The first friend he makes is not the young girl next door, but rather her great-aunt, Dottie.

To Dottie Henry is a reminder of another Henry-her fiance, who was a Royal Air Force navigator that never returned from his 13th bombing mission.

Henry likes listening to Dottie's memories of that time, and sometimes he has the feeling of being in someone else's body.

Henry see's a shadowy figure that appears in the evening and seems to be waiting, amid the fireflies, at the gate of the garden and at night he thinks he hears the old planes that flew over more than 60 years earlier.

While playing with a flight-simulator program on a computer, Henry "sees" what happened on that final mission for Henry.

I have to stop there or you'll know the whole story! I sent for this book because they said it was a friendship between a young boy and an old lady. (which it was) I really enjoyed this little book.

Maybe one day you'll see me .. at the firefly gate.

4 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

What a cool book! I'll have to read this one :) It sounds neat.

How nice of your cats to let you share ;)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Beautiful cats, Deslily...do they ever get jealous of each other? They look so contented in the pics. :)

12:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: thank gawd for wish lists!

Lee: There are 7 cats in the house.. booboo (the white one) and Stinkey (not shown) don't care for each other, but other than that they all get along.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

Such a neat title and enticing cover. The cover makes me want to be there - to be walking through that shower of fireflies and through the gate. Adventure awaits. Another to go on my wishlist.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home