My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Yet Another Good Read

The Floating Island by Elizabeth Haydon...
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Starscape (August 22, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0765308673


Can you hear me groaning??...
Let me groan again to be sure you heard me... Arrrggghhhhhhh !
Ok.. now ask me why I'm groaning..
Because I've found yet another YA author that managed to capture me.. dang it all! I don't need this! More to the fact.. I can't keep affording this! And, oh yeah.. of course there's already a second book out that I now am itching to send for.. sigh. I have found that, unlike many readers who can read only one book of a series I have this need to read the entire series, one after the other.. at least I'm that way if they are available. Of course if I have to wait for a release of the next book.. well then of course I wait. But then I have to reread what went before in order to feel comfortable with the latest installment.
I think I have reached a point (at least financially) that I am almost happy when I don't like the book I am reading... or at the very least, it's only "so-so".. anything not to want to read MORE by said author!
Now that that's off my chest..
This was a very good.. very comfortable..book to read. It wasn't a high adventure, but things certainly did happen to keep you interested. Much of it was done in the fashion of reading the journal of Ven Polypheme, who is not human, but a Nain. (tall for his age and looks human.)
It's his story .. turning of age... and his life experiences.
I wouldn't mind being a Nain. They live 4 times the length of a human and grow and mature accordingly. (it's not like you are an adult longer) So at age 50 (which equals about age 13 for a human) Ven is set to celebrate his birthday by inspecting a ship his family has just built so that they might settle the sale of said ship. The problem is, things don't go so well for the birthday boy. Before the inspection at sea can be completed, pirates attack the ship and Ven is forced to blow up the ship before the pirates can steal it....
...and from there his life's adventures begin.
I really like the way this author looked at life. The lessons learned, and the this is the way it is, like it or not approach to many problems. This book will go on my TBP (to be purchased) for my grandson! (well.. I know I own the book..but you don't think I'd give away my copy do you?!)
I'll end this post with a piece of one of Ven's entries into his journal:
I had always thought of home not as a house, or even a place, but a feeling of safety and acceptance, a warm light when the rest of the world was a dark, forbidding place.
Whenever my family was around, wherever we were, I felt like I was home.
When my mother scolded me for being late, I knew she was worried because she loved me. And we both were relieved that I was home. Even when two of my brothers held me down while a third tickled me until snot came out my nose, I knew I was home.
You know you're home when you name is called out, sometimes in welcome, sometimes because you are in trouble, and it rings like a bell. Not spoken on the wind outside your window, hollow, with an unmistakable threat.
Home was where I was safe.
At that moment, I never felt farther away from home in my life.

9 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds like a wonderful book, Pat....I love the "words" you included...Very intriguiging

I wonder if there is a Book Rental thingy like Netflix is to films and TV Shows, etc....? That at least would save you money....And if you really loved something you could then buy it if your need dictated!
It would also save you money on the books you didn't particularly like---rented and send back. If there isn't such a thing, there should be! (lol)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh...this does sound like a wonderful book!! I haven't heard of it before. Guess I'm going to have to look for it!!

1:18 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ahem...you can stop adding to my wishlisht now ;) You're beginning to sound like me loving every book you read! LOL!

I'm the same way with a series unfortunately *sight* I can't just read one and let the rest go. At least not if I really like it. I have to no what happens. It's like leaving a book that you're enjoying unfinished before it's over, it's a sin! You just don't do that. Of course the publishers know how we think and they know we'll pay $23.95 for the next book in the series ;) Gotta love Amazon for those discounts! And the free shipping!

1:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: well.. so far i've not heard of a "library that delivers and picks up" LOL.. just kidding..

steph: i swear the ya authors are out to get us! lol

Chris: makes you wonder why publishers feel that they won't make money because "no one reads anymore".. hells bells, they are making a small fortune off of just this little group of Carls!! hahaha

2:47 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Preach it sista! Ain't that the truth, lol...I would be very scared indeed to see the amount of money I spent a year on books...I get chills just thinking about it!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

I know just what you mean about reading a book that doesn't tempt you to buy it or read more in the series. There's a sigh of relief. I feel the same way when I read a review and I'm not tempted to add it to my list. *Sigh* Of course, that's not the case her. You've tempted me. This one goes on the TBR list.

BTW, have you heard of the library?! :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: you know someone really likes you when, for a gift, they give you prepaid card for Amazon! lol

booklogged: a library? *giggle* is that a real word? lol

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I'm buying you a television for Christmas young lady....

shame on me. ;-)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Dredging up an old post, I just finished this book! I thought it was you that I got the recommendation from. Now, the last thing I need is to start another series, but that's besides the point, right?

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home