My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

All's Well that Ends Well

The Beast of Noor by Janet Lee Carey
Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Atheneum (July 11, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0689876440 



This is my second book by Janet Carey (the other being: Dragon's Keep). It is an action adventure for YA, and I have to say I enjoyed it!
The story itself began a tad slow for me, I thought I may have gotten a book where the writing was younger than I would appreciate. But it soon escalated and continued to do so making it more "exciting" as it went along through the entire book.
The family of the Sheens have always been considered outsiders because legend has it that a Sheen brought a monstrous killer of a dog, the Shriker, to the woods 300 years ago. Although the beast disappeared for a long time, it has shown up again in search of human prey, and when a local girl's bones are found in the woods, the villagers blame the Sheens.
15-year-old Miles Sheen and his 13-year-old sister, Hanna, become determined to break the family curse and they wind up traveling between two linked worlds, as Miles is drawn into the Otherworld in pursuit of the Shriker, and Hanna follows. The Otherworld they go to is divided into two: one is like a fairyland, all things beautiful and bright and the other a dark world filled with creatures and evil.
I can always tell if a story holds my interest because of how often I pick it up "just to read a chapter or two" (heh) and I flew through this book fairly quickly. I will say I had help in that area though, because although it states over 500 pages it is a true YA book having the type just slightly larger and sentences double spaced, which makes for faster reading! (at least for me it does) It was an enjoyable read, but when I find myself comparing it to others I'd have to say a "medium read".. I've surely read worse, yet I've read others that have characters I just don't want to leave when the book is over.

6 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

You've been putting away some books lately! You have to have passed me up by now, huh? I'm at 73 at the moment...it seems like you've read that many in just the past 2 months!

11:48 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: Not hardly! I can't catch up to you lol.. I'm only at 65 for the year..

11:54 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Nothing wrong with the large print, I always say. I like getting through a book quickly now and then. Makes me more apt to pick up those huge books that I know are going to suck up alot of time if I can accomplish some quick reads in between.

3:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: well, the print wasn't "large" like in hound of the baskervilles..but a little larger than most mass paperbacks, plus double spaced sentences which makes for faster reading.

3:37 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Pat....this is off topic.
Did you hear about the Tiger that attacked Chris Orr at Shsmbala??
I think he is okay, but I guess, from what they said on TV, it was pretty scary....I thought of you when they talked about it the day it happened.

Also: I never watch Emeril...! So "Bam" just came out of my own head! LOL!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

pssshhh... if the letters aren't big enough I always fall asleep.

I know....shame on me.

:-(

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home