My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Danke

Chris Howard: a young man who has aimed his life at helping troubled children, a voracious reader, and a computer friend. This post is to say thank-you to Chris.
The only way I know Chris is through the computer.. blogging to be specific. I found Chris through Carl's Stainless Steel Droppings when I noticed he liked many books that I liked. So I began leaving comments on his blog, Chris was nice enough to do the same at my blog. Back and forth, back and forth we went , until one day I upped and asked a favor of him.
I asked Chris if he would read the (trilogy) story I wrote and give me some input on it. The truth is, I think I needed to be with the characters again and although I can do that alone, I really wanted to talk with someone about them. Needless to say Chris said he would. Well.. actually, since he's such an avid reader.. he more or less jumped at the chance!

As we talked about him doing this I guess I mentioned that he'd have to read it "as is" typo's and mistakes and all. This did not seem to bother him. In fact he went so far as to offer to catch and send any "boo-boo's" that he found. I thought this might take away from him possibly enjoying the read if he kept stopping to type up mistakes, but he said he didn't think it would bother him.
And so time passed. Chris read all 3 parts to the story, with a flow of the boo-boo's coming my way along with comments on what he had read. Not only did he do all of this, but at the end of each one he wrote a review! (can you see me smiling?) He wrote raving reviews! Does he know how to brown nose or what?!!...except, I have nothing he would want for him to do that for. He really liked them!

Let me try to tell you how good that feels... or maybe not. I'm not sure there are words that can express the feeling you get when someone enjoys talking about the characters and story you wrote and thinks what you wrote is GOOD!
So I wanted to write this post to say Thank You to Chris. Thank you for the work you did, and thank you for bringing my heart and mind back to something I love.
During the time we were emailing about what he was reading, we also talked about the fact that Chris himself is now writing a story! He is challenging himself once more and joined in the Nano Wrimo.. which is to write a novel of 50,000 words in one month.
So now we talk even a bit deeper.. now I get to ask him if he is hearing his characters voices as he writes, and if his characters have taken their own direction and moved him into areas he never thought to go! I have to say, I like these conversations as much as I enjoyed when we talked of my story! It brings to mind the feelings I had when these things happened to me. And we both voiced the same opinion that there isn't a person alive that shouldn't write something, so that they can hear the voices and go where they never expected to go!
We agreed that it doesn't mean you have to want to be a writer at all.. but the feelings you get are so wonderful and so different from anything else that everyone deserves to feel them.
Everyone has a story.. actually, everyone has many stories to tell.
Some just don't think they deserve to be written down... untrue.
Some think you have to want to be a writer.. you don't.
Some just think they don't have the time.. you do (there's no time limit)
Some think it's silly... it's not.
Some use the excuse that their spelling is bad or they don't know how to express things correctly... spelling doesn't count, and there is no right or wrong way to express yourself. (ok maybe there is if you are wanting to be a writer that gets published.. but not when you write for yourself)
I hope that one day everyone writes something. If nothing else, the days and feeling of your life are known only to you. Unless you write, no one will know things that go through your mind, real or unreal, serious or humorous.. try writing some of them down and then go back and read them at a later time.. you'll be glad you did! I know I am... and Chris is now finding out he is...
Thank you again and again Chris... I hope you enjoy your writing experience as much as I did!

9 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

:D The pleasure was all mine. I still can't get your stories out of my head and I doubt I ever will. They were just beautiful! I wish everyone could read them.

You do know that make us sound crazy talking about hearing characters voices, right? lol! But I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone should write a story. I never thought I could do this. Never in my wildest imagination. Everything I had ever written before had turned into a short story, only because I had gotten frustrated and ended it before it was done. But this time, I think I have a true book! And it's no doubt due to you as an inspiration and NaNo forcing me to write 50,000 words.

Like I said before, as much as you thank me for reading them, I thank you for sharing your stories with me. I enjoyed them so much and if you ever go back to Kesterwood, let me know! I'd love to take another trip back there myself :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: anyone who's written things knows they hear the voices.. and those that haven't... they should give theirselves the treat!

I'm sure you will wind up with a book! I think you have the bug this time!

2:14 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How truly wonderful, Pat! There is nothing like feedback that validates what you have created....! I so agree with you about wqriting. I have ben writing since I am a child....Sometimes more than others...Stories, Plays...Etc. I love writing plays because it is pretty much all dialogue, and talk about "hearing voices"...LOL..I always can hear the characters in the play speaking in THEIR Voice....and it is quite extrordinary how it is almost like it isn't you writing anymore---it is them!
A great great feeling....!
I'm very happy for you Pat...and much good luck with it!

5:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Awww thanks Naomi! I have no plans for it.. just want it to be the best it can be...
I love hearing the voices LOL..I still remember the first time I heard a voice in my head when writing.. some dumb "skit" and when I'd hear the voices I'd laugh my butt off! lol..

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Aww, what a sweet and wonderful post!

The internet really is quite something, isn't it? I truly feel connected to a bunch of people all over the world that I have never met in person. And despite this, I still consider them friends, because we are able to discuss meaningful things like books and writing, and that's not something that can be said of most of the people I see every day.

It is a wonderful feeling to get feedback on your writing, or just being able to talk about writing in itself. You know, I had more or less given up on writing, but reading this and Chris' NaNoWriMo posts really makes me want to give it another go. I guess I had forgotten how much fun and how amazingly satisfying the act of creating a story can be.

3:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: yes, it really is a great feeling.. even if it's not worthy of publication.. it's the writing and the voices that are so marvelous! Everyone does deserve to hear voices.. everyone.

3:25 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Ah, yes. I remember the first time that happened to me. I have one close friend who has read my stuff all along and I tended to dismiss her opinion - after all, she's my friend and what else would she say? Then, I let some people who were relative strangers read something I'd written. Their response absolutely blew me away. It is a wonderful, wonderful feeling.

And the voices! The voices! I love 'em and wouldn't know how to function without them.

Good job, Chris, and I'll go on record here and now saying if you want someone to read your NaNo novel, I'll gladly do it.

cjh

9:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: get in line lol.. i think a number of us wouldn't mind reading Chris's story when it's done!
I had those same feelings when relatives read my story, I do believe they enjoyed it, but also feel they wouldn't say horrid things about it.

got to love those voices! Especially when you can relate them to maybe actors you've seen and liked. It gives them more "reality" because you hear different voices from your own.

10:27 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Well it's good to know I have 2 people who would be willing to read it :) I have a feeling it will be awhile though before I'm finished editing to the point where I'm happy to release it to anyone. It's so sloppy right now!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home