My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Blue Christmas



I was sitting and looking at a picture of the snow falling...
It reminded me that the color blue has always been my favorite color for Christmas. For as long as I can remember I've always decorated my trees (when i had them) with blue lights, and sometimes some white.
I think the fascination with blue lights began when I was quite young. Each year my mother would load my brother and I into her car and drive to Wyoming Avenue and some other streets in (I think ) Short Hills and Livingston NJ, where the rich lived. They were known for decorating their homes really pretty and my mother would take my brother and I in the car and drive up and down the streets to see all the lights.
I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember one time she took a road that became a dead end. At the end of this road was a home decorated in all blue lights. This was back in the day that "outside lights" were those big bulbs, nothing like today's small glitter lights.
Every seam and corner of the house had lights on it. Every window was adorned with the same lights. The blue lights reflected off of the snow that was on the ground. And off to one side was a small pen set up with two baby lambs in it for petting.
I remember feeling like I stepped into a dream .. and I never forgot that house. I don't know if we went back the next year or not.. memories fade when we age..heh. But I never forgot the feeling of it being a dreamy fantasy.
I guess over the years I'd try to get that feeling back from when I was a kid and saw that house. I'm not sure I ever really got it back, but I do know the very few times I tried to use a different color lights, or multicolored lights, on my Christmas Tree, it just never seemed right to me.
I guess that's odd, as I still enjoy looking at everyone else's tree's no matter how they are decorated.... but mine always had to be blue.


Me and Charlie Brown...
There was a time when I was living in California.. money was tight and Christmas was upon us. I managed to buy a small (maybe 4 ft) tree to set on a table.. that made money even tighter. I went to a store and found some lights on sale since Christmas was so close, they were trying to get them sold. (blue lights of course!) Then I searched the store and found these really big bags of cotton and purchased them.
After I put the lights on the tree, I took the cotton and branch by branch dragged the cotton over them hoping it would look like snow on the branches. I wish i had a photo of that tree (laughing here).. I guess you'd call it my own personal "Charlie Brown" tree lol..
But it was BLUE!
And if you got really far away it even looked like snow on the branches LOL.

10 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Oh, how totally magical that house sounds! I can certainly see how that would stick with you. What a lovely glance into Deslily's world!

8:52 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy :) Me and Megan have always done our tree with all blue lights too. That's been one of the things I've missed since Katrina...we're not together for Christmas. I used to love putting up the tree at her apartment, stringing the blue lights on and then turning all the other lights off and just looking at it. Blue lights are just so peaceful. They've always been my favorite :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Debi.. just a very old memory lol

Chris: I'm not sure what it is about blue lights at christmas, but many people do it.. you must truly be my son lol!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Every since I've had my own tree, I've only had blue lights!! I thought it was just me!! My mom likes those multi-colored lights, but I think the blue lights are just perfect!!

Glad to see I'm not alone!

12:15 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I think I am Pat ;) My mom's going to be so disappointed :/

1:21 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That house sounds magical, and the way you describe it I can actually see it.

I didn't really come to the realization that I was a fan of blue lights until about a year ago when I started using some myself. I love the aura it gives a room, or the outdoors. I have white lights on the tree but was actually thinking about taking our old tree and putting it in my back computer room and decorating it with blue lights and sci fi/fantasy related stuff. I may still do that this year, but if not it will definitely be on the agenda for next year.

2:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: and well she should be! lol

Carl: I'm not sure what it is with blue.. it seems all paintings and photo's with snow are cast with blue shadows, night photo's are "blueish" etc..blue seems to be a major thing with snow and christmas, but then so do lots of color of all kind.. maybe it represents "night, and dreams "??

2:24 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Wish I could've seen that house. It sounds enchanting.

And I've been known to do all blue myself. There's a serenity to them, I think, that appeals to me.

cjh

11:16 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lol, LOl...I wish you had a picture of that tree, too!

There are two houses here in L.A. One Beverly Hills and the other in Bel Air....that are decorated in just the little tiny white lights....Both these homes are very BEAUTIFUL....they are done with great taste and look utterly mahical. I don't know if either of these homes are still being decorated like this, but when they were, it was worth taking people to see them.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Blue is a very cool hue, no doubt about it.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home