My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Best of the Turkey (after the stuffing that is!)

Yesterday morning I cut and diced the veggies I needed to make Turkey soup.  I had already cooked the bones the day before so the broth was just waiting ..  When I added all the veggies it was a very full pot!

..and three hours later it was still full but looked like this..

We will make a huge dent in the soup... but left enough for one more day (maybe 2?).  It really is my favorite part of the Turkey, aside from the stuffing which is only cooked IN the turkey and not actually part of it.

For the broth I use all the bones.  Most especially, the back, the wings and both legs  which have all their meat still on them.  The thighs get eaten for their dark meat but the legs have those sliver bones and so no one ever seems to eat them.  I cook the bones with  some celery, onion and carrots for a number of hours and then strain it into another pot, so that no small bones get into the soup .  

There is just no better soup than that made with turkey bones and veggies!!

6pm.. ok.. so.. we made a dent in it!... guess what's for dinner again tonight!

6 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

The best leftover turkey I ever fixed was turkey enchiladas with green sauce.

But I love my home made chicken noodle soup, so maybe I should try it with turkey.

1:19 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yum yum yum!!! I've been on a huge soup kick for some reason lately and that just sounds DEEEElicious. I like how everyone aside from us uses celery, onion and carrots to start a dish! Here in New Orleans, the "trinity" is celery, onion, and bell pepper!

1:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

oh Pam.. turkey broth is even better than chicken broth!!!

Hi Chris: I use bell peppers in chili and in stew but not in soup.. weird huh? hehe.. hey both your moms can't cook alike ya know! (plus there's only a few things I cook ok.. not much of a cook really.. i used to bake up a storm though!)

2:31 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Deslily-

You've managed to make me hungry. Time to make up some of my beef vegetable soup...

cjh

5:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

CJ: I used to make what I called "chop meat soup" I used ground beef as the base and after the usual onions celery & carrots I used lots of other veggies like green beans, peas, lima beans, corn and then used canned tomatoes and beef broth.. I always enjoyed that soup!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Did you finish the soup up yet? Is there any left for me? :-)

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home