My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008

I guess since others are posting their Christmas gifts I will do the same!

First are "blogger" gifts that I've shown already but deserve a second look (especially because the candy will be gone really quick! )

This consists of "ladybug" poppet from Carl, luscious Belgian candy from my adopted son, Chris , and a lovely picture book of Dartmoor, from my newly acquired "sister" in England, Cath!

I've read my little book a few times already, Ladybug has made herself at home, and as you can see.. the candy is almost gone!  heh..

My son George and Kat, his wife and Brent my grandson gave me a gift certificate from Amazon (gee, now where could they have gotten an idea like that???).  I have to use web photo's because what I purchased is "in the mail"

When I went "shopping" I made out really, REALLY ,well!

First I chose a book I knew I'd get sooner or later because I absolutely love Christopher Plummer called In Spite of Myself.    Then I thought I'd look around in the books on sale and found Scarlet, which is book 2 of Lawheads King Ravon trilogy.  It was on sale from 17.98 down to 8.99!! Oh yeah! We do like sales on books we want anyway!!

The paperback of David Copperfield was also on sale for only 8.95!  It's not one I am going to jump right into but I've been wanting some Charles Dickens and so I chose now to send for it.

Then I found the biggest deal of all !...

From Earth to the Moon... This is the HBO mini series that Tom Hanks did.  It's five dvd's and originally was selling for 59.95... it was on sale for 19.99!  I knew the chances of my ever getting it for 60.00 wasn't very good but I kept it on my wish list anyway.. and there is was... 19.00.. ohhhhhhh yes!  It called to me!   All of that and all I had to add to my gift certificate was 7.00!!  (can you see me smiling?)  I just love anything to do with the early space program, and most especially  Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo and our journey to the moon, and the men that did it. 

So it won't be long and the three books will be added to the HUGE pile of TBR books I have and I will have 5 dvds to watch!!

I hope everyone else had a wonderful Christmas, lots to eat, fabulous company and lots and lots of goodies to open!

14 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Nice gifts!

I saw From the Earth to the Moon on sale while I was out X-mas shopping. Not for $19, but still 1/2 price which definitely brought it to my attention. See, I taped these all on VHS tapes waaaaay back in the late 90's when they were originally shown on HBO. You got a new episode each week and I carefully set my timer for each new one because the new one always aired while I was at work.. I was working evenings. Because I was taping them anyway, I decided to keep them instead of taping over them with the next thing I wanted. When I met G, they were one of his first discoveries in my collection. He, having been on the road and not having had a chance to see them, Loved them. He's watched them several times over the last 8 years. So.... I thought, what a great present for him! They are remastered! They wouldn't have the little bit of whatever was showing before and after each episode (I wanted to be sure not to miss anything so I started all the tapes 10 minutes prior and went 10 minutes over...), there were extras! Still... I wasn't sure. Seeing several copies on the shelf, I decided that the best thing to do would be ask. Yep, spoil the surprise and ask LOL! Good thing too. Seems he prefers my 'originals'. Says it is cool to see them exactly as they originally aired. Sigh.. who knew?!? Still, if I see it even cheaper at the 'after Christmas' sales next time I go to town (Note that I am currently avoiding what I know must be madness with the returning and buying and using those gift cards) I may still get it for him. Our current DVD player is a combo so he can play all of his old favorite VHS tapes, but I saw an article recently saying that VHS is about to become a dinosaur... someday he may -need- the DVDs if he wants to watch it ;p

9:59 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Ah, what perfect gifts! From the Earth to the Moon especially. I will be redboxing that one at some point. I'm thrilled you got that edition for such a fantastic price! You did well, congrats! :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: hiyas! I know, I too heard they won't be making anymore vhs tapes.. but they have to keep the dvd/ vhs machine for some time.. I mean.. I have over 500 movies in vhs!! no way could i afford to replace those! So, they may not sell vhs anymore but the players shouldn't disappear for some time to come.. probably not in our lifetime.. I hope anyway.
I imagine we need to buy an "extra" vhs player and store it away! they should be dirt cheap now!

Hi Carl: yeah, you know I love stuff on the original astronauts and our journey to the moon!! I never could/ would have spent 60.00 for it though..but now I have it (well, once it gets here)..and I love Tom Hanks so... can't get any better!!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Ooh you got all kinds of good stuff! Can't wait to hear what you think of Plummer's book.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

The Belgian seashells my brother gave me aren't going to last long either :P

$60 to $19.99! That's quite a sale! And great timing too.

1:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: Plummers book is supposed to be a bit more about the theater he's done, but I've always liked him so I hope it's good too! (easier to find out when you don't have to pay for the book! lol)

Nymeth: belgian chocolates? what belgian chocolates? I have no belgian chocolates lol.. gone!

Yeah! don'tcha just love a good sale?!! lol

4:19 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Great buys! I really want to see From the Earth to the Moon. I was excited about it when it came out, but I never got to watch it. And yay for Dickens! I love his books. Haven't read David Copperfield though. Glad to see the seashells are disappearing :D And I got a Borders giftcard for Christmas...think I spent it yet? Of course!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Sounds like you got some great gifts for Christmas. That candy looks delicious. I used to watch David Copperfield. Never read a book about him though. Helen

6:01 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I got From the Earth to the Moon for Christmas too! When I saw it for $20 on Amazon I did a little happy dance and gifted myself :)

Becky

8:05 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I commented prematurely :) I love, love, love Christopher Plummer--he was my first crush--I think I was four or five when I first saw Sound of Music--so I'll be waiting to see your review and looking to pick this one up for myself.

I have the first book in the Lawhead series but haven't read it yet. But the second one--the cover is speaking to me--so maybe I need to get with it and get to them.

Becky

8:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: I remember when Tom Hanks did this mini series reading so much about how he loved the space program, especially the early moon shots.. which is why he jumped at the chance to be in apollo 13 too.

Becky: if I hadn't gotten the gift card I never would have been noticing the price on the dvds! No way I could have afforded 60.oo! I am so glad it went on such a good sale!

and oh yeah! wasn't christopher plummer absolutely gorgeous in sound of music?! woof! Now, HIS is an autograph I'd L-o-v-e to get my hands on! I have a nice photo of him I'd love signed!!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

once several years back my brother boarded a flight heading somewhere --

the flight attendants announced a quiz over the loudspeakers and passed out some paper.

One of the questions was: name the first 7 mercury astronauts.

My brother was the only passenger that got them.

10:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela: as much as I love them all, I probably wouldn't get that right lol. But I'm like that, I'm not a good person to play trivia! I did get to meet a few of the old astronauts though and I can't tell you how that thrilled me!! They lived what we can only read about... a fantasy come true.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

My fav Christopher Plummer role was in The Sound of Music. Love, love, love that movie and he was perfect in it. Interested to hear how that book is.

And David Copperfield is one of the most accessible Dickens books, imo. I read it in my teen years and thought it was wonderful. I actually have it on my reread pile for this year.

Glad you're still enjoying the little book. :-)

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home