My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Turner Classic Movies

Turner Classic Movies does it again!  In The Good Old Summertime  1949

I know the title of the movie but I can't remember seeing it before and I find that incomprehensible! I mean, duh!  It has Judy Garland, who I love. And a great great cast!!
Van Johnson (who just passed away) and two big favorites of mine, Spring Byington and S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall and it even has a smaller part for Buster Keaton!!

This was a MOST ENJOYABLE movie!!  If you like old movies, and of course like Judy Garland singing.. well.. then it's a must see!

Plot summary for In the Good Old Summertime (1949)

It's turn of the century America when Andrew and Veronica first meet - by crashing into each other. They develop an instant and mutual dislike which intensifies when, later on, Andrew is forced to hire Veronica as a saleslady at Oberkugen's music store. What the two don't know is that while they may argue and fight constantly throughout the day, they are actually engaged in an innocent, romantic and completely anonymous relationship by night, through the post office.

Judy, Judy, Judy... there is only one Judy Garland!!

(1922-1969)

Van Johnson recently passed away.  It always amazes me when people who claim to love movies don't know his name.. I mean.. well.. he did make 123 movies!!

(1916-2008)

Besides all her movies, Spring Byington went on to have her own television show called December Bride... ahhh, I remember it well!

  (1886-1971)

S.W. "Cuddles" Sakall... there's a reason his nickname is cuddles!.. 'cause any female would want to cuddle him! lol.. with his deep Hungarian accent and his loveable charm it was hard not to enjoy this man in anything he did.

   (1884 - 1955)

From silent movies to talkies Buster Keaton was a star when it came to comedy.

(1895-1966)

I hope everyone gets to enjoy an old movie now and then...

TCM... it's the best!!

  _________________________________________________________

 

Turner Classic Movies Remembers those that the movies have lost...

 

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

December Bride is one of the first TV shows I remember watching on our first television. Loved it! I enjoy Turner Classics too.

7:31 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Donna! I was just by your blog (I know i need to comment!) looking at you in that hot tub!! It's a good day for that sort of thing here today.. wind chill has us in the single digit numbers!!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

This one sounds a bit like the plot of You've Got Mail. Not exactly the same but similar idea. I'd never heard of it either but I do remember Van Johnson, seen him in lots of things.

11:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: It is Cath.. it's based on The Shop Around the Corner. It was done in 1940 with Margaret Sullavan & Jimmy Stewart. And then this version with Van Johnson and Judy Garland. I had not remembered all the other stars in this version though!

Also I am always surprised at how many stars have died and there's always someone I didn't realized passed away..

11:28 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

In the Good Ol' Summertime is wonderful, isn't it? Such a great cast. We watched it again earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

2:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: it sure is!

3:04 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You've got me in the mood to just kick back and watch TCM today on my day off...I think I may do just that :)

5:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: well.. you could do worse! lol.. I will admit, some days I'm not thrilled with their choices but other times I am overjoyed. I just wish TCM had access to even more old movies than they have.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I have a biography of Judy in my TBR pile so I'll get to watch films like this that I haven't seen before. I know I know him from something but I can't think of what...

Maybe I've just seen a part of the film before because while watching the trailer I remember parts of it. The little kid at the end is Liza Minelli.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home