My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

All the Weyrs of Pern

All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Publisher: Del Rey (October 24, 1992)
ISBN-10: 0345368932

From School Library Journal
YA-- AIVAS, the Artificial Intelligence Voice Address System that was a part of the original colonists' settlement, is unearthed on the Southern continent after having been buried for generations. This latest volume in the Pern saga deals with the reactions of the various lords, dragonriders, and craftsmen as they realize the impact the artificial intelligence will have on their culture and traditions. With its help, F'lar, Robinton, Lessa, Menolly, and all of the other characters YAs have come to care about devise a risky plan to eliminate a serious threat to their environment. While All the Weyrs of Pern is not as tight and exciting as the earlier dragonrider books, it is a well-written novel that's sure to appeal to McCaffrey's many fans.

I can't remember when I read this book last... and so about a week into February, I though I needed to reread something instead of taking something new.   Then the unthinkable happened and David died.

I forced myself to begin to read again... hoping against hope that, even if only moments at a time, my mind would get a little relief from thinking.   I guess my mind warped out and I forgot an import part of this book... 

Mostly it was about finding a "computer" from their ancestors and Aivas (the computer) telling them they could end the threat of thread on Pern.  For 98 percent of the book.. it was good to be back on Pern, to be among the characters and dragons I have come to love for so long..

What I had forgotten was a very important thing... Masterharper Robinton.  He was one of those characters I fell in love with.  Through many of the Pern books Robinton is a force you can't ignore ..nor do you want to!  In this book  Robinton's  life ends.   Not a good thing for me to read since I've lost so many in my life in such a short time.  After a meltdown I talked out loud to myself and said, "self... you can pick up another Pern book and Robinton will be alive and well".  

Maybe we all need to be characters in a book.

But the book is a good extension in the many volumes of Pern and it's inhabitants and their dragons.. If you ever read the series, they need to be read in order, but this is a good part of the history of their ancestors.. a good thing to know and a good book to read. You'd have to break all my fingers for me to type anything but good about Pern, the characters , or the dragons.

14 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I'm glad you were finally able to make it through your book. Maybe the reading will be easier from here on out. But then again, Pat, it's totally understandable that you're having trouble staying focused on anything.

Thanks for posting...I think you realize how much it means to us to hear from you.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I know I say this every time you mention these books but I'd really like to read these one day... preferably before the movie comes out (it still says 2011 on Imdb.com but I haven't heard any more about it). You've met many famous people so I'm curious, have you met her too?

I'm with Debi, thanks for posting!

6:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: just wish i was enjoying it again.. i know i am forcing myself to do things that are automatic right now.

Tink: yes, I met Anne McCaffrey just once and needless to say a mob around her. Since I was in love with Masterharper Robinton I did ask her if he was designed him after anyone she knew, and she did! her neighbor! That was years and years ago.. have wanted to go to Ireland ever since!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

This is one of my favorite Pern Novels. My very favorite is Dragonsdawn. Weird, I know. I adore almost every thing Pern, but for some reason those 2 books are my favorites.

As always, glad to see a post from you. I worry. Oh, and I bought the first Inkheart book yesterday. Sigh! Another series. But, it is kind of nice to wait till they are all published before I start them. At least the next book is already out ;p

8:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi JJ: Maybe because this one is a little more "sci fi" since they are going back and forth to the ships?
Oh I hope you like Inkheart.. i loved it ! and now that there are faces and voices (the movie) to the characters I like it even more!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

This is an author that I really need to read! I own several of her books and still haven't got around to reading any of them! I am pretty sure I would probably like her, too!

12:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kelly: oh if you have the original trilogy (dragonflight, dragonquest, and the white dragon) you won't be disappointed!!!!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Sometimes I do wish we were all characters in books. In a nice fantasy comedy, preferably. In a kind book.

I know I'll really enjoy Pern...now I just have to actually read it :P

3:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: you seem to enjoy most everything you read so I have no doubt you will find something about Pern to like!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This is as far as I got with Pern, I started to read it and got distracted by something or other. I think possibly I couldn't face Robinton's death. I must get back to it as it's clearly a pretty good read.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Pat I am glad that you are getting some interest in reading again.That will be good for you. Hugs, Helen

6:59 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I am so glad to see that you got to revisit Pern :) It is sad though that you had to experience Robinton's death right now though. Hope you're doing ok! And I see you're reading 13th Reality right now! That looks like such a good series...I really need to read it!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I haven't read any Pern books yet either, it's on my radar now because of you, Pat!

And maybe, because you have read the book before, some part of you wanted to read it so you could have that chat with yourself? "In the midst of darkness, there is light," and all that. My fingers are crossed that something good happens to you to balance all this sadness and loss.

6:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it's hard to loose Robinton.. he's such a fabulous character in the books!!

hi Helen: well, not a whole lot of interest, it helps to know the book if I hadn't I probably would not remember much about it

Chris: SQT gave me the ARC which is why I'm reading it..so she gets a point!

Susan: they are old books but the original trilogy is out in one big trade paperback (which chris should have gotten tsk tsk).. very character driven and "dragon driven" so if that's not your thing... the books won't be for you

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home