My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Gil's All Fright Diner

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez

Mass Market Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Tor Books (June 27, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0765350017

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Something Evil (that's with a capital E) is stalking Gil's All Night Diner in Martinez's terrific debut, a comic horror-fantasy novel. Heading the delightfully eccentric cast are buddies Earl (aka the Earl of Vampires) and Duke (aka the Duke of Werewolves), who are looking for a place to eat as they drive through Rockwood, a small desert community besieged by cosmically weird stuff. Soon after stopping at Gil's Diner, the pair help Loretta, the formidable owner-operator, fend off a zombie attack. Determined to do the right thing, the two supernatural misfits take on further challenges, such as trying to prevent Tammy (aka Mistress Lilith, Queen of the Night) and her loyal but dumb boyfriend, Chad, from ending the world. The fast-paced plot is full of memorable incidents (e.g., a ghost and a vampire fall in love; a Magic 8-Ball becomes a message vehicle for trapped spirits) and such wonderful observations as "this whole undead stuff sounds good on paper, but it ain't all it's cracked up to be." Fans of Douglas Adams and Joe R. Lansdale, who supplies a blurb, will happily sink their teeth into this combo platter of raunchy laughs and ectoplasmic ecstasy.

This is the second time I have read Gil's All Fright Diner.  The first time was two years ago for Carls RIP challenge.  Back then I doubted I could find anything to read to fulfill this challenge.  Vampires and Werewolves, Ghouls and Monsters are not my thing.

As I searched for books I came across Gil's All Fright Diner.  From what I could read.. it sounded .. well.. funny! So I decided to try it.. and guess what?!....... I liked it!  

It's about two reluctant "heroes".  That catches me right away.  Add to that fact.. one is a vampire , the other a werewolf.  Hmmmm...

The opening sequence is Earl (the vampire) and Duke (the werewolf) (insert music "Duke of Earl") were riding in a car.  Duke was drinking beer (a werewolf drinking beer?!) and Earl was driving hitting every pot hole there was.  Their conversation consisted of getting angry with each other... some cussing.. and well.. a typical "male encounter"... The book grabbed me right away... which shocked the hell out of me!   It grabbed me again 2 yrs later.

There is actually a story besides the strange friendship between these two ..ummm.. guys, and the more they cuss at each other.. the more you know they are really good friends.

Yep. I could read vampires and werewolves like these two!  Especially when there were snippets that I must have forgotten and I found myself guffawing now and then!

Martinez has written a few other books, 2 of which I have read. One was "not bad" and the other "not great".. this one though.. is a keeper!  And I will re-read it again another year!

My recommendation?   ... try it.. you might like it!

(once again I have a double post... scroll down... there's Happy news about the Moorhens!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I've wanted this book for a long time now. Probably since you read it two years ago(?)...though I didn't keep as careful track of where I heard of books back then. (And well, the old memory's not what it once was.) Anyway, now I want it even more!

What other books did you read by Martinez? I've got A Nameless Witch on my shelf...so I'm guessing that's bound to be the one you labeled "not great" ;)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I will read it at some stage. Actually... I'll go check to see if the library has it at long last.

8:18 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: yeah it didn't do for me what this one does. In the Company of Ogres wasn't bad, just not "as good" as this one. The nameless Witch didn't move me either..I guess I expected the same type of humor in all of his books.. he tries to do that... but they don't come close to being as good as Gils All Fright Diner

Cath: it's a cute comical book. It gives you "some creeps" but with humor.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I miss one day and you have three more posts with pictures no less. Had to get my workout and racketball in since I ate far too much in Chicago.
The book sounds as if it would be a bit of a romp. Kind of reminds me of a science fiction series by Spider Robinson called Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Short stories centered on 'bar patrons' who are a tad bit (or a lot different.) Those were enjoyable.
Glad that the Moorhen chick escaped the hawk. Bet those birds are spoiled though with all you guys taking care of them.
Bye for now..Vala

3:41 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ok, ok already! I'm gonna read it...geez! ;) Just kidding. Really excited about this one!!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Vala: other then something comical like this the best I can do is gothic mystery or maybe a ghost story.. I'm not big into vampires which many are.

Chris: when you "need a break" this is the book to read. it's short. and it's comical. i worry having you read something because I liked it though.. ever since you liked Dragonflight but not the continuation of the story in Dragonquest.. that still surprises me since it's a continuation of something you liked.. so now I worry you won't like something I did..it'd be ok if it was a libraray book and no money spent..then I wouldn't care lol.. but I do think you'll like this when you get to it.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

I HAVE to read this. I love the title. Love it. It would be perfect for my Helluva Halloween challenge. Must read.

4:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

misty: it's very original to have a werewolf and vampire as reluctant heros..it's cute, even funny in parts.. i hope if you read it that you enjoy it

5:05 PM  
Blogger serialkillercalendar said...

This is James GIlks (owner of SerialKillerCalendar.com and editor of Serial Killer Magazine). I love this book. I can't wait for this to be made in to a movie! It is a really refreshing look at the whole subject of vampires, werewolves and zombies. THrough some Douglas Adams style HP Lovecraft in there and you have the makings of a book that reads like a movie. Casting might be hard for something this good though. I just hope the do it right and get Tim Burton to direct it!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Tal said...

I, like you, was not crazy about Martinez's followups to Gil's, but I did enjoy his latest novel, Monster almost as much as I enjoyed Gil's. Give it a shot.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home