My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, October 02, 2009

September Wrap Up

Gads!.. it's October!

..and it winds up that all my September reads were all for Carls RIP challenge!.. big surprise huh? heh.

I only read 6 books but a few of them really added up the page count!.. which comes out to 2896 pgs!  Holy Sh.... um.. Holy cow!  That's a lot for me..I'm a slow reader remember!

I had already read the short story for the Graveyard book so knew I'd enjoy that book, then I did 2 rereads which I knew I'd like also. 

Then the real test came.. Drood! 773 pages! argh.. when I first picked it up I wondered where my  mind  had gone that I even bought a book like this! But low and behold.. the writing sucked me in and I really enjoyed the book... it even left me wanting to read Wilke Collins!! Now that was more than I expected!!

But I couldn't grab another big book so I picked up Shadow of the Wind. I guess after 773 pgs 486 seemed small ..heh.. it wasn't...but it was yet another excellent book!

So THEN I picked up Wilke Collins, Woman in White.  That didn't begin so well..in fact I was toying with putting it back on the shelf.. it began really wordy and slow...slow...slow.. I'm a slow reader, so if you write slow it becomes unbearably slow!  But I really wanted to read this book.. so I forced myself to continue reading.. and in the end I was very glad I did because (since we tend to remember the end more than the beginning) it became a very good book indeed.

So there you have it.. That's my September Wrap up.

      ***************************

P.s. A few posts back I mentioned that I bought a used book for only 75 cents.. thought you'd like to see what a really good deal can look like...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Care said...

WOW. I am impressed. If you call yourself a slow reader and got through all that!? wow. Hats off to you, awesome!! I can say that I loved Shadow of the Wind and also 13th Tale but I don't think I'd attempt Drood and the Wilkie book entices me but I really shy from big books!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Just look at all those chunksters!!! Most of my books this month were super-shorties...and I still didn't even finish many. :(
YAY for good deals!!!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That certainly does look like a good deal!

And I'm impressed! That looks like a great total! (And, as you say, it's all in the page count this month.) You should be incredibly proud of yourself for reading those chunksters! Especially when they're not your usual/preferred fare!

8:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

care: i don't mind big books if they are good.. i enjoyed Drood so it was ok lol and easy reading

Debi: yeah gotta love good deals!!!

hi shanra: yes they aren't my usual fare but they are gaining on me lol..

10:17 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

You've had a seriously good reading month, Pat. Some great classics. And I love the cover of The Terror! Hope you read that soon 'cos I want to hear about it.

10:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: heck if i know when I'll read it! lol..

5:06 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, chunsters should count as two books! You had a great month and I've really got to see if I can find Woman in White without buying it. Maybe even Drood...

I love that pooch!

cjh

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

You had a great month. I've read three of those and loved them! Hope October holds many more great reads for you! I've had The Terror since last year but haven't picked it up yet...

11:40 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Drood sounds amazing...I just read a few pages over on Amazon...might have to put this on my library list!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home