My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Another Morning at the Pond

The first two shots were from the other day and taken "across the pond"... where the turtles have decided it is their sunning spot..

The photo's don't come out great when zoomed to the max.. down below they were "making a dash for the pond". (and for turtles they are pretty darn fast!... gotta love the feet lol)

Then just this morning (only it's not really THIS morning because I didn't post this the day I wrote it)... the one turtle who comes to feed with me showed up.. and I finally got some shots of him coming out of the pond for bread.. it's quite amazing actually because they run away from any movement and I am thoroughly amazed it comes out while I am within feet of it.   I started the photo's while he was still in the water...

(I was surprised that I could see him totally submerged!)

Above he is checking out the food situation before  he makes his move.

First he finds some in the water close to land... (above).. and then..

I never thought  a turtle could be trained but this one knows when the birds are feeding.. he comes around.. moves in closer and closer and waits for me to toss bread to him.. then he gets braver and braver and comes to shore!

As is getting the norm my little tri color Heron flew from across the pond when he saw I was there feeding the Moorhens.  He seems to get pretty lucky with the tiny fish when bread is around.

(Below) I took this shot because anyone of the ummm, older generation, will remember when the "cool guys all wore a DA  (Ducks Ass) haircut!  Looks like my little buddy is from the late 50's! lol  He must be older than he looks!

One last shot.. the big Heron showed up and I've noticed this one patch of tall grasses looks as if it's "fall" here.. (don't let it fool you) so I thought the colors were nice..

 

8 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

Oh those turtles are GRAND! I LOVE them! And of course the Heron... you are sO blessed! I can't help but thinking how much better off you are in your new Florida home looking out on all God's beauty instead of gunfire and police cars... Are you enjoying your new life yet? I HOPE you are! More than that... I really PRAY you are...

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just adore your turtle pics! Especially that one where they were dashing to the pond, feet a-flying. Really CUTE! Keep those shots coming. :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Your pictures are great. I love the heron's hairdo. We have another blogger who has been feeding the turtles in their stock pond. One has come out on the bank a couple of times and tried to eat the red bow on her shoes. When it saw it was unedible it turned abd scooted back to the water. She doesn't take any pictures to show us though. Helen

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: I emailed you

josbook:I can't really see what they are doing until I get the pics on my computer they are so far across the pond.

Helen: i love the hairdo too lol it so reminded me of the guys from the 50's with the "DA" haircut! awww your friend should take some pics!

5:14 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Once again, Pat, FABULOUS Pictures of all the very dear 'wildlife' around you there in Florida. I so wish I had some sweet Birds and a Turtle or two who visited me....Lucky You, my dear. They must bring you great joy and the feeling that life is there, all around you!

5:30 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm with Jo! That photo of the turtle diving toward the pond is simply amazing! How cool that you got it.

And the Heron photos are so amazing. You made me laugh with the DA shot!

cjh

6:01 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Fabulous shots of the turtles! Something we couldn't hope to see over here unless in a zoo. And the Duck's Ass feathering on the heron is wonderful.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

My dog brought a turtle up on the porch this morning :) Thank goodness he wasn't as big as this!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home