My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Mailbox Monday..

The guilt of spending money is getting to me..

Normally, seeing a box from Amazon at my door always made me smile.

Not anymore.  Or at least...not for long.  I kinda smile as I open it and see what's there.. but I hide them on the shelves quickly so I try to forget I spent money.

This is my wall of Shame....

I can't even blame anyone but myself on these.. oh wait.. ok Chris gets one point for The Magicians Elephant.  I know he hasn't even read it yet either but he talked about it when he first found out the book was coming out and I have really liked the books of hers that I have already read.

The Angel's Game I had to get because I just finished Shadow of the Wind recently and it was such a super book I needed more of Carlos Zafon's writing!

I forget who's blog reviews Suspicions of Mr Whicher but when I checked on it at Amazon and read that review too I knew it was one I wanted to try. On Amazon the title reads: The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective    England in the 1800's and a mystery... sigh. It seems to be my undoing anymore.

And Simon's Cat.. well.. what can I say?  I needed to feel like I wasn't the only tortured person with a cat!  I have already read thru it once, and it's pretty cute.. but I will say I love the youtubes of it better.  But I will leave the book out where anyone can see it... not that anyone comes here but..it looks good ya know?.

There are books I can justify though ..(I hear you now.. yeahrightsure!)

Honest there are! And here are 3 of them...

Note the bug eaten paper cover above.

(Murder on the Orient Express) nice little leather cover!

  The spine is bent but in tact

These books I found at a thrift shop... a grand total of 50 cents each! And whenever I get around to reading them I can donate them back lol.. I can justify 1.50 out of grocery money so I don't feel guilty about these. Of course.. they are nothing I will keep forever either lol.. oh well.. hey no points and no guilt.. a good combo!

12 Comments:

Blogger gautami tripathy said...

You got wonderful books from the thrift shop!

Mondays: Musings/Readings/Mailbox

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I don't blame you, Pat...I want all the books you got from Amazon too :P

And oooh...gotta love thrift shop finds!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

With the holidays on the horizon, I was feeling a little guilty about my book purchases too.... thus explaining my new appreciation for the library. It also helps that the 'new' library I found has a much better selection! Reading + guilt free = FTW

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

I don't blame you either, Pat. *hugs* May reading them (and perhaps finding a way to pass them on without losing a comparative fortune on them) bring you much joy!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I thinnk we all feel a bit guilty when we buy more books but we will read them all eventually, right? LOL. Anyway you got some great bargains at the thrift shop...can't beat 50 cents!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need to justify buying Books. I used to take any allowence I got as a kid (A nickle a week) and save it up to buy paperbacks. Of course back then the paperbacks were only 25 cents. Dating myself aren't I. Vala3

4:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

gautami: i thought so too! lol

Nymeth:oh did you read Shadow of the wind??? If you haven't yet don't miss it! (you have so many reviews I loose track of who does what)

JJ: I no longer do holiday presents.. my grandson is it and that isn't much (usually books lol)

hi Shanra: oh I know i'll enjoy them

kathleen: i hope to find more at thrift shops!

hey Vala: the fact that books mean a lot to me doesn't make it right for me to spend the money..not anymore.. I do have to cut way WAY WAY back to nearly non existant and soon because in the long run it it hurting my very small financial situation.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Well, you might still be spending that money on cigarettes if you hadn't given up, so don't be too hard on yourself, Pat. Better to spend the money on books than on smoking...

5:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

$1.50 or 3 books! Now that's one of the best deals I've heard in a looooong time! :D Glad to see that you got yourself a few other gifts. Though I can see that you're worried about money. Cath makes an excellent point though!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I know exactly what you mean! I love getting new books, BUT...

Happy reading!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Drop the guilt! It's not that I don't understand that money is tight...but don't let the pleasures of life end up making you feel bad. Know what I mean? The money for those books is already gone, so ENJOY them...you more than deserve them!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Whenever I want a new book I just try to win it online. You would be amazed at the amount of blogs that do giveaways weekly! I've seen several for that Simon's Cat book. Ooh, lots of interesting looking ones here though. Hope you enjoy them all!

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home