My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Little Stranger

(book 6 for RIP)

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Paperback: 528 pages
Publisher: Riverhead Trade(May 4, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1594484465

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Waters (The Night Watch) reflects on the collapse of the British class system after WWII in a stunning haunted house tale whose ghosts are as horrifying as any in Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Doctor Faraday, a lonely bachelor, first visited Hundreds Hall, where his mother once worked as a parlor maid, at age 10 in 1919. When Faraday returns 30 years later to treat a servant, he becomes obsessed with Hundreds's elegant owner, Mrs. Ayres; her 24-year-old son, Roderick, an RAF airman wounded during the war who now oversees the family farm; and her slightly older daughter, Caroline, considered a natural spinster by the locals, for whom the doctor develops a particular fondness. Supernatural trouble kicks in after Caroline's mild-mannered black Lab, Gyp, attacks a visiting child. A damaging fire, a suicide and worse follow. Faraday, one of literature's more unreliable narrators, carries the reader swiftly along to the devastating conclusion.

The first book I opened after The Meaning of Night was The Magicians and Mrs Quent... gone were the satin pages... gone was the crisp type and double spacing sentences.  My hands felt paper similar to newspaper and the words seemed so close to each other I felt I wasn't reading each word.. so I set it aside for another time because I know I want to read that book, but as things happen when you leave an enjoyable book..the "next book" isn't easily found.

But find it I did!  This time it was The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.  No, it did not have those satin pages but the print was much easier to read and it drew me right into the story.

I am finding that most of the "gothic style" books all seem to walk at their own pace, neither fast nor so slow you don't pick them up again.

The book had quite a good story to tell, however, I found myself wondering if all the things that occur in that house are "ghostly".  Often I found myself waiting for someone to be uncovered as the culprit.  I thought it was not quite defined as "a ghost"...either that or..it really sounded much more like a person was doing the things on purpose... so I found myself always "waiting" for the discovery.

I also found that I really wanted to go see this house for myself!  They never did say quite how many rooms there were in it but at times when one of the characters would go into rooms they had not used I really wanted to wander thru and see them all for myself. (I guess they call that good writing!)

But, like I said, it was still very enjoyable... I can always tell by the fact that I seem to read over 500 pages more quickly then some shorter books!

The book left me with one question in mind:  who..is.. "you"?  You can guess..but one never really knows.

For those who have read Sarah Waters, Fingerpost, I think they will also enjoy The Little Stranger.  In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't !

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Oooooh, this sounds brilliant, Pat. I'm glad you've found your niche with all these gothicky books you're reading. I have several of them waiting for me and it looks like I have a treat in store. I have read Fingersmith and loved it so am sure I will like The Little Stranger.

11:59 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I never read Fingersmith but it's on my wish list. I keep hoping I will find it at the thrift stores! lol

5:52 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Gah, I really need to read this!!! Everyone's been reading it lately and it's the only Waters I DON'T have! But reviews like this make me want to read it badly. I think I'm coming up soon for it on Paperback Swap though :D You really should read Fingersmith when you can find a copy! It's fantastic!!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I loved Fingersmith and look forward to reading more Waters in the near future. I almost picked this one up at the airport on my way to New Orleans on Friday but put it back. I guess it will have to wait for another time!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oooh, I'm more excited than I ever---because I just found this in the used book section at B&N on Friday!!!! I so want to dive right in, but I suppose I must finish up *some* of the books I already have started.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I was supposed to read this, but I just haven't got to it! Slacker me!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home