My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

April Books

 

Some time ago I mentioned I was no longer worried about the amount of books I read and a monthly  post like this one shows that I stick to it lol…

I didn’t read a lot but I did get 3 out of 4 read for the Once Upon a Time challenge!

The books I read are listed below:

 Tuck..........................Stephen R Lawhead, the third book of his trilogy.

tuck1[2]

Wilkie Collins................Peter Ackroyd . Obviously not for OUaT but, it’s the book I enjoyed most this month.

wilke-1[1]

The Snow Child................Eowyn Ivey.  Overall I enjoyed this book but I can’t say I loved it, as I am not big on fairy tales.

41hH9i-1[1]

The Night Circus..............Erin Morganstern. This was the least enjoyed. I didn’t care for this book, but many others do. I am guessing it’s a “like or dislike” type of book.

51AvA[1]

 

………keeping with the topic of books………

A few more have found their way into my apartment (nothing new, huh?)

Witch Hunt in Hollywood is not the book I wanted but the book store didn’t have Odd Man Out by Edward Dmytryk, which is what I wanted.  Both books are about the time in Hollywood when Black Listing was going on.  A long time ago I read the Dmytryk book but in all my moves it seems to have gotten lost and so I’d like to get it again to read. (I am happy to say I met Mr Dmytryk once and that he directed some westerns that my friend DeForest was in)  Anyway, Witch Hunt mentions him as he was one of the big 10 that was the core of much of the black listing.

nobks[1]

The Charlie Chan book was a whim.  It’s about how they took a real life Detective from Hawaii and turned him into  a movie detective. (Warner Oland, pictured on the cover, was not my favorite actor who portrayed Charlie Chan. Although he was a fine actor, Sidney Toler was my favorite) I also loved Victor Sen Yung as Jimmy Chan and Mantan Moreland as Burmingham Brown.

The Witch Hunt and Charlie Chan were free from turning other used books to the store.

ccf15[1] 

chan2[1]

A Cottage by the Sea was just one of those books that sounded like a good read.

That leaves, Wilkie Collins book of No Name. (big mistake)

I don’t make it a habit of getting “paperbacks” unless they are trade paperbacks. I wanted a Wilkie Collins book and had this on the wish list a long time and for 9.99 decided to get it.. if anything beats being stupid it’s proving you are stupid. 

When the box arrived I wondered what was in it and then I thought, ok.. I did send for two books, so they put them side by side for it to be a longer box.

NOT. It’s an 8x10, very heavy and an awkward book to hold!

noname1[1]

and to make matters worse.. (could they get worse?!) it’s typed , as if on an old typewriter.  Wait.. still worse…  it’s typed like on an old typewriter that needs a new ink ribbon because it is so light!  ARGH!!!! First it’s too dang heavy to hold up for any length of time and second it’s very light and that makes it hard to read!!!…

noname2[1]

I see a donation to the Friends of the Library in my near future.  I really don’t think I will be able to hold it or enjoy reading it this way… and it’s my own fault!  I always look for the size of paperback books to be sure they are trade paperback size… so why I didn’t notice this was 8x10 is beyond me!  stupid, stupid, stupid.   Can I chalk this up to having a Senior moment?

ok.. I think it’s time to go back to bed now..  :o)

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

wow, that was some kind of awful reprint book you got there, Pat! Ugh, I'm not sure anyone could read it. I'm sorry!

What's A Cottage by the Sea about? it looks interesting. And you know, so long as you enjoy what you read every month, that's what counts.

Happy reading for May, Pat!

7:40 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How odd about that last book...One wonders who published that? And why it is 8 X 10, too...! I would have a terrible time with that pale ttping...!

My dear Betty and Larry were good friends with Eddie Dymtryk and his wife Jeannie....They both loved him and spike very highly of him--they loved her, too....The Black List...such a horrible time in our history....!

BTW: Greystone has been used in many many films over the years....I will be telling more about it's more recent history in Part 3.

10:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Susan: it's about a woman who moves into a cottage in Cornwall and it seems like she starts reliving an old tragedy that happened there. also a love interest in the owner of the house.

Naomi:I am not suprised that Betty and Larry knew him... Larry was involved in all of that also was he not?

I am betting I've seen the house and just don't remember which movies it was in! looking forward to part 3

5:58 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I wondered if Cottage by the Sea was Cornwall - I see it is and will be interested to hear about that when you get to it, Pat. Bad luck with the copy of No Name. It's like someone printed out a copy of it from Gutenberg or something.

You certainly had a better reading month than me! lol

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

That's too bad you didn't enjoy The Night Circus more. I hope you have a wonderful May!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sounds like you had a great reading month in April compared to me. It's good you found a few that you enjoyed!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home