My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Tuck

thejourneysix[1]

(Book 3 of The Journey/ Once Upon a Time)

Tuck by Stephen R Lawhead.

Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (December 15, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1595540903

tuck1[1]

Book Description

King Raven has brought hope to the oppressed people of Wales--and fear to their Norman overlords. Deceived by the self-serving King William and hunted by the treacherous Abbot Hugo and Sheriff de Glanville, Rhi Bran is forced again to take matters into his own hands as King Raven.

Along the way Friar Tuck has been the stalwart supporter of the man behind the legend--bringing Rhi Bran much-needed guidance, wit, and faithful companionship.

Aided by Tuck and his small but determined band of forest-dwelling outlaws, Rhi Bran ignites a rebellion that spreads through the Welsh valleys, forcing the wily monarch to marshal his army and march against little Elfael.

This epic trilogy dares to shatter everything you thought you knew about Robin Hood as Stephen R. Lawhead conjures an ancient past while holding a mirror to contemporary realities. Filled with unforgettable characters, breathtaking suspense, and rousing battle scenes, Stephen R. Lawhead's masterful retelling of the Robin Hood legend reaches its stunning conclusion in Tuck.

Well, the chubby Friar comes thru for his friend !  As was expected the third and final book of “king raven” delivers the conclusion you thought it would, but there are some surprises along the way.  A goodly war and some helpful surprises. Combined with a bit of sadness and the whole thing becomes an enjoyable trilogy to read.

I liked the way Lawhead kept many things “true” to the tale of Robin Hood and yet made it his own story. It wasn’t easy letting go of Errol Flynn or leaving Sherwood Forest, but Rhi Bran (Robin) did well, and so did Marien and “Little John” (though the name was rarely used) and the good Friar Tuck.  Some things don’t change.. and that’s a good thing.  He also gave us a new character , one who saves Bran and leads him towards his destiny.  I won’t say more because she’s a welcome character and one that I would have liked more background on to know more of her.

Over all this trilogy was quite delightful.  The reading was easy.  The book is “double spaced” and so you virtually fly thru the books despite their sizes.   I did enjoy all three books and I’m sorry I left them in the tbr pile for so very long.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I can think of worse places to live than in a forest with Robin Hood. LOL. Really pleased you liked these so much. Sometimes you're just not ready to read a book until you're ready. These are keepers and will have to be prised out of your cold dead hands I take it? LOL!!!!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I don't mind it when a story goes the way I expect it to, so long as my expectations were good of course. :) And I'm glad to hear that in spite of that it still held some surprises for you.

I read some of Lawhead's work many years ago and really enjoyed it. His King Arthur series. Not sure what I would think of it now but I liked it very much when I read it.

1:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Carl!! so I've read 3 books and the journey is only 1 !! of course I will read more! (time out for a small book on Wilke Collins that Cath sent me and then I think..... the snow child.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Keep hearing a lot about The Snow Child... look forward to your thoughts if you read it, Pat.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

You are doing well with this challenge, Pat! I'm so glad you liked all three books in this trilogy. I found myself looking for book one at the bookstore this week!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Buried In Print said...

It must be really interesting to write this kind of story, looking for a balance between the traditional elements of the tale and the places where you can insert your own ideas and still have it resonate for readers. I like the sounds of this trilogy. (And it's true that the spacing of the typeface can really make the pace of a book hustle along!)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home