My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

RIP

rip7200[1]

Rip is here at last!

7872286568_5e8f698201_b[1]

Each year when Carl begins RIP my mind jumps back to the first time I joined in. Not knowing what to read because my mind said  things I just was not into reading I found a little book who’s main characters were a vampire and a werewolf.  With a deep breath and a *here I go* I read Gil’s All Fright Diner and found it delightful!… so no I cannot enter RIP without the thought of that book coming to mind. 

Beginning today Carl is  Hosting yet another new RIP for all to find those new spooky, or gothic, or murder books.

His goals are simple:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

The purpose of R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII is to enjoy books and movies/television that could be classified (by you) as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.

So choose a Peril and jump right in to all the fun!

I have decided to do Peril the Second which is to read 2 RIP type books. (we all know this is because I don’t do commitment well. I will read more then 2)

  rip7periltemplatesecond[1]

Anyway….Carl like to see pools of books, so here’s my pool!………..

Books on my TBR shelves that fit the bill are:

1. Atonement, 

2. 20th Century Ghosts,  

3. Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil, 

4. Pickwick Papers

5. Bleak House

6. Oliver Twist

7. Kept

8. The Terror……………

ripbks[1]

9. Nine Coaches Waiting,

10. Irish Ghosts and Hauntings

11. The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories

12. Mina

13. 11/22/63

14. Nevermore

15. What the Dead Know

16. The Anatomy of Ghosts

17. City of Nets

18. The Night Watch

19. The Name of the Rose

20. An Unpardonable Crime

And if that isn’t enough to choose from…. there’s always my 2 favorite reads at RIP time,  The Thirteenth Tale and Drood!

13[1]

Of course just because there’s there’s a pool  doesn’t mean I”ll be swimming in it!  In fact, it’s generally more possible  that I find new ones along the way!

RIP is the best way to *fall* into the new season….

Let the ghostly, ghastly , ghoulish reading begin!!!! I think I will head for my dungeon and find a good book………………………………………

7872286948_b8d7cd7a64_b[1]

15 Comments:

Anonymous Grace said...

Oooh! I'm hoping that I get to Drood this year; it was one of the ones that I didn't get to last time. Looks like you have some great books on your list!

10:34 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Grace: Drood lead me to read more Wilkie Collins books and more Dickens and I never read them much before!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Love the way you illustrate your posts, Pat. LOL.

Great list of books there. I've read a few, like Oliver Twist and The Thirteenth Tale. Most are new to me though so am keen to hear about them. Oh boy, I can see my tbr pile growing before my eyes. lol.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh Pat, I was so happy to see The Terror on your pile! I just reviewed a book I read earlier this year, since I think it's perfect for RIP, and it's shorter than The Terror though similar in tone and feel. Another good ghost story set in the arctic. Ooh, I hope you get to read The Terror this year!

I have 11/22/63 on my pile too. I'm not posting until tomorrow, as I'm still making my final selection. I say final with a laugh, because you and I both know I keep adding to the pile as soon as I see everyone else's lists! lol

I'm with Cath, I love how you illustrated your post.

I also gave The Thirteenth Tale, and Drood, still to read. Hmm, I'm on holiday still, maybe I could read it since I don't have to leave the house much - it's so heavy. And looks so good....

glad you are safe, Pat, too. I'm watching the CNN coverage of Isaac, and hoping Chris is staying safe with Matt, and his family....

12:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath:I can't write without pictures! lol lol...we are off and running! I so enjoy Carl's challenges even if he doesn't call them a challenge!

Susan.. sent you an email

12:33 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I hope you read The Terror!! One of my all-time favorites. We just read The Thirteenth Tale in my book club and I thought of you...

4:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Daphne: awww I hope you liked the Thirteenth Tale! I loved all it's twists and turns! Not sure if I'll tet to the Terror or not...so many books so little time! lol

4:42 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I actually was in the middle of reading "The Garden Of Good And Evil", but got stopped by having to take care of and do a lot of other things...! It's A Very Good Book!

Good luck on all this Pat....It sounds like you are going to have a very very good time!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I don't believe I've read a single book in your pool. Not that that's surprising or anything. But it does mean that if you decide to swim in that pool, I'll get to hear about some new-to-me books. :) Hope you enjoy everything you read, Pat!!!

5:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ohhh glad to hear that Naomi! Maybe I will give that a try next!

Debi: lol isn't it amazing all the books out there that we've not even heard of?!!! lol

5:30 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Very creep welcome! I like it!

Nice pool, and I love your comment about perhaps not swimming in it. It is fun though to have a pile of potential books to read, even if one doesn't actually get to them. I'm not sure what I'll get to, but I do plan on finishing the remaining three Louise Penny books that she has out (I'm almost halfway through 6 of 8) and will do both group reads. I want to get to The Night Circus as well.

I'm sure you'll kick butt as usual and I look forward to seeing what you do end up getting to.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Great selections!! I always love The Thirteenth Tale and maybe I'll reread that one!

12:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: a few years ago I wouldn't have known the 2 group reads but because of RIP I've read them both some time ago!!

Natalie:ahhh a lady after my own heart! I've read 13th Tale 3 times...I might have to make it 4!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

Great list, Pat. I look forward to R.I.P. all year!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Deb Atwood said...

Hi Pat,

Have you read The Anatomy of Ghosts yet? It looks pretty interesting (but quite dark?) with lots of mixed reviews. But 500 pages, phew!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home