My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sister

Sister by Rosamund Lupton.

Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Broadway (December 20, 2011)
ISBN-10: 030771652X

sister[1]

Amazon.com Review

When the body of Beatrice’s beloved younger sister, Tess, is discovered in an abandoned building in Hyde Park and ruled a suicide, Beatrice knows the police have made a mistake. She’s certain her sister was murdered. Determined to uncover the truth, Beatrice impulsively begins to hunt for clues on her own. So begins Rosamund Lupton’s stunning debut, Sister, at once an engrossing thriller and a powerful meditation on the bonds of family. Writing her story as a letter to Tess, Beatrice gradually connects the strange, varied occurrences leading up to Tess’s death--Tess’s pregnancy; a trial drug from a pharmaceutical company; a man who may or may not have been a figment of Tess’s imagination. Beatrice’s former life falls apart as her search veers toward obsession, and she realizes she might pay a terrible price for the truth. An adrenaline-filled psychological thriller, Sister’s emotional impact comes from Lupton’s heartrending portrait of the love between Beatrice and Tess.

I’ve had this book for some time on my tbr shelves… Not sure why I grabbed it, and as I read the inside of the cover I wasn’t even sure if I’d like it… and at first I was dubious. 

The book is written as a “sort of” letter to Tess, Beatrice’s sister. So there was a whole lot of “I, I, I” going on.  It’s one thing to have that in a real letter but quite another to have it thru over 300 pgs.  

But I will admit that the revelations of “who done it” were brought out so skillfully I wasn’t sure who did it!  So.. that made this a pretty good murder mystery!!! 

Again, murder mysteries are not my “thing”.  I am much more into finding out nasty secrets in the family type book then a who done it book.  But I will say I quite enjoyed this.  I wasn’t sure what to expect which was good too.. I didn’t have any pre-ideas in my head about the book. 

Whenever I read a book quickly I have to say that I enjoyed it.  It even had me reading while the Olympics was on!  (horrors!!). 

I will also admit to a tear now and then… something that is usually saved for “wow, books”!    All in all, it’s a quick and easy read.  A good who done it. And I even enjoyed it being written as a “letter” instead of a “story”..it was a good break from the expected writing.

Enjoyed it?  Yes.

And if you like murder mysteries I think this would be a good choice for most anyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds very very very interesting. I DO like a good mystery...And it must have been ibcredibly arresting for you to be reading it while the Olympics were on...(lol).

3:46 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I definitely like murder mysteries I just don't like psychological thrillers...so I'm not sure about this. But it does sound interesting!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This does seem like an odd choice for you but am glad you ended up liking it. I probably would too by the sound of it.

6:23 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've been wanting to comment on this and I finally have a chance! This one sounds so good Pat and I'm glad you reviewed it :) Love those books that just grab you and keep you reading :)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have heard of this author before but I don't think I really knew what she wrote. Not really my thing either, but you do make it sound good!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home