My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wildthorn

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland.

Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children;(September 6, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0547370172

wildthorn[1]

From Booklist

A caution for readers eager to enjoy the traditional trappings of a gothic historical romance: this novel, like its protagonist, doesn’t always conform. Seventeen-year-old Louisa Cosgrove wants to be a doctor, but she is constantly blocked by societal and familial opposition. Only her father, who educates her himself, much to her mother’s concern and brother’s jealousy, wants Louisa to succeed. Shortly after his death, she is tricked into going to Wildthorn Hall, an insane asylum. Now addressed as Lucy Childs, stripped of her clothes and, ultimately, her identity, Louisa must plan her escape and uncover the betrayal that landed her in Wildthorn. While paying proper homage to women of the past wrongly locked away for an “over interest in learning,” Eagland casts just the right amount of doubt about Louisa’s sanity, with the conflicted heroine thrown into further confusion as she slowly falls for the kindnesses of a chambermaid named Eliza. Though predictable on occasion, Eagland’s debut stands out for its well-crafted treatment of an unconventional love affair.

Once again I took a book off the tbr  shelves that I’ve had there for some time. In all honesty, most of them have been there for some time!   Anyway….

This books was a touch small in size, double spaced and fast reading.  *smile*  So why it sat there so long I am not sure.

As the Amazon review states, the book is about Louisa’s life growing up in a time when woman in England were groomed to be nothing more then a wife and mother.  But even though Louisa was more intelligent then other woman, and knew her mind right from the start…those were things that were shunned back in the day.

Life was about to dish out some horrible things to Louisa.  In doing so there is a mystery for you to think about, who put Louisa in the asylum?. 

One thinks one knows the answer but one is quite wrong! 

And then there is a romantic, life changing time, in Louisa’s life.  along with all the cruelties that are happening to her… is she falling in love ?

This is a very quick read (even for me!) and quite an enjoyable little book.  Which sounds weird considering the horror of being put in an insane asylum…. and if you think they may be horrible now , wait until you read how they were then!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I started this and never finished it. I am so bad for that! I will have to try again one day...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Sounds a bit like part of Fingersmith? Can't remember if you've read that or not? It does sound pretty good though.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oooh, oooh, oooh, I'm heading right over to paperbackswap to see if they have it! Sounds pretty darn intriguing, but the topper is that it's a quick read! :P

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home