My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Stupid is as Stupid does…

I did my, *getting to be usual*, stupid thing and went to the Friends of the Library….

Once there I found a nice puzzle for my girlfriend..and then found myself standing in front of "the history section"!!!! Gah! ME?! In front of the History section???!!!!! Anyone I went to school with should get a good laugh out of that one!  (ya hadda had been there!)

The thing is, … since I read Citizens of London (about our helping England and our entry into the war) I find more interest in that particular time period in history. 

A history channel on cable recently showed a few shows on Hitler and I found myself watching them.. and now since reading Citizens of London and learning that Edward R Murrow (his name being “familiar” because of his old radio and television shows when I was young(was I ever young???.)) was one of the people in London  trying to help both Churchill and Roosevelt, while all the time sending newscasts back to America.  I happen to come across a book on his life for 1.00 ..guess what came home with me.. heh.  And you bet I checked the index to see if there would be some chapters about him in London and there is!!

ed[1]   ed1[1]

I am doomed, doomed, doomed!  This has got to be my year of reading Biographies, autobiographies, memoirs etc.  As I look through my books I have more than I even remember picking up!!  I know 90 percent of them have come from the Friends of the Library!

I go there often under the guise that I am keeping an eye on a book that I want .  It’s volume 1 of The Pickwick Club, by Dickens.  The book is not in good condition but the color illustrations in it are in fantastic condition.  They want 65.00 for it and it is not in good enough condition for that kind of money.  I am told that once a year they have a sale on their “expensive” books.. so I wait and hope it doesn’t sell and then hope the sale price is a big deduction.  Considering it’s condition and the fact that it’s only volume one of a two volume set.. it’s got to be waaay cheaper!  Meanwhile each time I go I find yet another book, and it’s always the same thought: for a dollar I might read it.  ARGH!   I hope I live long enough to read all of them!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Pretty interesting about Edward Murrow. I don't think I've heard of him but can't be sure about that. What a fascinating life he must've led, that biography will doubtless be very good, especially for just a dollaor. Go, Sis!

I know what you mean about history. I always did like it a bit but have not read a whole lot of books. Now I'm reading a book about Queen Victoria's servants for goodness sake! I think I'm going to have a non-fiction year too.

You really deserve to get that Pickwick book, if only for sheer patience and persistance!

6:11 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Hey it's a dollar and you can't pass that up :p I find I like history more and more the older I get!! I think that as youngins we just can't appreciate it as much.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Murrow's a pretty interesting guy, isn't he? I'll bet that book is going to be good...and hey, like you said, even if it's not, it was just $1.00. And a dollar that went to benefit the library, no less! :)

2:20 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

It's hard to pass up a bargain like that one! I love my library sale but managed to force myself NOT to go the one last weekend since my bookshelves are already over full but it was hard and I am still wishing I had gone!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home