My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Notes from a Small Island

 

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson.

Publisher: Avon Books/Bard; Later Printing edition (1998)

ASIN: B0047Z0NB0

notes_zps2b50b829[1]

"Suddenly, in the space of a moment, I realized what it was that I loved about Britain-which is to say, all of it."

After nearly two decades spent on British soil, Bill Bryson-best selling author of The Mother Tongue and Made in America-decided to return to the United States. ("I had recently read," Bryson writes, "that 3.7 million Americans believed that they had been abducted by aliens at one time or another,so it was clear that my people needed me.") But before departing, he set out ona grand farewell tour of the green and kindly island that had so long been his home.

Veering from the ludicrous to the endearing and back again, Notes from a Small Island is a delightfully irreverent jaunt around the unparalleled floating nation that has produced zebra crossings, Shakespeare, Twiggie Winkie's Farm, and places with names like Farleigh Wallop and Titsey. The result is an uproarious social commentary that conveys the true glory of Britain, from the satiric pen of an unapologetic Anglophile.

For some reason (and I have no idea what it is) I seem to be reading like molasses flows in winter….. and, AND.. it’s not a joyous as it normally is.  The fact is.. I almost don’t feel like reading!  Wow.. can’t remember the last time this has happened!

Anyway.. I broke from Fantasy Fiction to Read Notes from a Small Island.  I adore Bill Bryson’s writings about his “walk abouts”.  But I will admit, I began with the BEST of Bryson when I read A Walk in the Woods.   And so each book since then is difficult measuring up.

In Notes from a Small Island Bryson either walks or takes a train or bus to all parts of his beloved England and of course he “wise cracks” through the whole thing!

It’s not like I didn’t chuckle.. I did.

And it’s not like I didn’t Laugh Outloud… I did.

But as with the last Fantasy book I read (which I also enjoyed) I wasn’t grabbing at the book the instant my fat butt hit the chair.  I never thought I’d say that about a Bryson book.  And in all fairness I would tell others who would consider reading this.. to do so!   For surely I am in a reading slump and nothing is reaching in and grabbing me out of it. (kinda scary when Bill Bryson can’t pull me out!)

Notes from a Small Country should be read by anyone who is considering a trip to England and by anyone who enjoys Bryson’s sense of humor, which is outstanding!

I am so desperate to get out of this slump I am going to read a “short story”! (anyone who knows me knows I am not fond of short stories, though not long ago I read 2 that I think highly of)… so one might ask.. what short story will you read in hopes that it takes you from this slump?

Go ahead… ask!

Well, it would be a short story by my favorite author Anne McCaffrey! (surprised? I thought not!).. Its in a book of short stories called Legends edited by Robert Silverberg and the story is called Runner of Pern.

So.. there you have it.  ..and back to Pern I go!

7 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is surprising to read about your feelings about reading right now. I cannot believe that they won't pass, my dear....I do hope so, Pat....Cause no one I know loves to read more than you do.....!

12:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwww :o) thank you Naomi!!! (please feel better soon!)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wierdly this is one Bryson I don't think I've ever read... even though I think I own it. My favourite so far is Down Under but Walk in the Woods is a close second. Sorry about your reading slump, I hate it when that happens. I usually deal with by reading something very lightweight indeed.

Hope the short story is to your liking. I used to own Legends but don't think I still have it.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I hope you will be past your reading slump soon! Sometimes a short story or some good magazines are what cure my slumps!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Sorry you've been in a slump. Those do happen. I haven't been reading much at all of late other than short story collections and even then I've been either too busy or too preoccupied with other things to get much done.

Going back to something you love it always a good idea!

I just ordered this book and another Bryson on audio from the library to take on our trip. I've read and enjoyed several of his books but haven't tried any on audio, so that should be fun.

3:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: this one was good.. but so far none are quite as good as Walk in the Woods!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I really liked Walk in the Woods, but Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid may be my favorite. And I learned SO MUCH from At Home.

Walk in the Wood was my first experience with his work and I read it in an ARC that the bookstore I was working part time in got as a promotional item. I remember reading it aloud to Mary at the time.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home