My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

I Am Spock

I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy.

Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Hyperion;(October 26, 1995)
ISBN-10: 0786861827

nimoy_zpsa7952f01[1]

From Publishers Weekly

Few actors are as inextricably associated with one role as Leonard Nimoy is with Star Trek's Mr. Spock. In 1975, when he was embarking on a post-Star Trek career, Nimoy published an autobiography with the tongue-in-cheek title I Am Not Spock. Twenty years later, despite a fruitful career as a film director (Three Men and a Baby, The Good Mother) and theatrical actor, he here remembrances his legendary half-Vulcan alter ego. Star Trek fans will find this a, well, fascinating history of the "birth" and evolution of Spock?Nimoy explains the original conception of the character and describes his own contributions to the development of Spock's persona. He also provides an insider's account of the production of the TV show and the highly successful series of Star Trek movies, and offers his insights into why the Star Trek phenomenon has maintained such a grip on our cultural imagination. Nimoy's admirers may find this fairly impersonal memoir disappointing; it touches only tangentially on the author's private life. But this is an intelligent and entertaining look at an actor's engagement with a character who "seemed to take on an existence of his own."

Staying with my Star Trek obsession of having seen the new movie 4 times and then seeing 2 of the original movies and then reading Walter Koenig’s book “Chekov’s Enterprise”, I decided to go on and read “I Am Spock” by Leonard Nimoy.

I wasn’t sure what it would be all about but I hadn’t read any books by Leonard so I thought this would be a good one… and it was!

Normally, I can’t say that I like books that do nothing but list movies by any one celebrity and talks about nothing else concerning the person.   I was surprised that this virtually took that route.   But I was glad it included theater that Leonard did and not “only” the movies in which he portrays Spock.

Having said that.. I found Leonard’s writing very amicable and enjoyed everything he wrote.  I learned some things I never knew and got to relive the Star Trek Movies through “Spock’s” eyes. (and through Leonard’s eyes as both an actor and director)

I felt as if I was back in time reading Leonard’s book.  It felt good.  And I have to say I am glad that Leonard liked his roll as Spock well enough to reprise him for J.J. Abrams. 

I still find it so hard to believe how many years have gone by since the beginning of Star Trek.  How young they were back then.  How young I was back then!  It’s not easy watching life go by so very fast.  But I do cherish every single memory I have of the Original cast.  Of course I wish they were all still with us.. and happy for as many of them as we still have.  We should all be so lucky as to have something so wonderful to happen to us as to be known as a character that effected so many lives..

May you all:  Live Long and Prosper.

6 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is so interesting when a role comes along in an actors life that propels him into the public eye, and kind of overshadows everything that came before and after....! I was familiar with Nimoy before STAR TREK, and after, too....He is a really WONDERFUL Actor....! But, obviously STAR TREK is what most people remember and think about. I guess that has it's good side and it's not so good side....! The Public seems to make the decision that THIS is what someone is known for and then, cannot see him or believe him playing anything else. An interesting phenomenom...!

5:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi.. oh I am not so sure that the public refuses to accept him (or any actor) in other parts so much as that they are afraid they will loose the character they love more than anything. I think Nimoy became fairly popular when he did Mission Impossible. And being Spock also propelled him into directing... so as he said, he doesn't hate Spock because the part did so much for him.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I should read this I think. As a lifetime Trek and Spock fan. I think and have always thought, that Leonard is amazing. It's quite hard to think how many years have gone by since Trek began. I don't like to dwell on it too much, tbh. I was 15 or 16 when I first fell for the show and seem to have lived my life around the show and its offshoots, one way or another. It's been joyous but I wish there was more time left to enjoy even more. I must stop being so maudlin.

8:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: emailed you

5:35 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It is crazy to think back to how young the cast was when this all kicked off. Heck, they were still young when I started watching the show in syndication a good decade plus after it was originally aired. As each Original star passes away I feel a profound sadness knowing that something special has been lost. I love that Nimoy is being featured in the new films, I appreciate that tie to the old. It is too bad De isn't around to see Karl Urban pay homage to the character he created.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I read this book when it first came out - I bought the hardcover, even though I was so poor back then (single mom, barely working). And I loved it, every word of it. I enjoyed knowing what the show did for him, and how he tried to move on, and what his life was like - him the person, as well as his alter-ego Spock. And do you know what I did? Several years ago, I gave the book away. I thought I wouldn't want to read it again. AAAAGH! when will I learn? Some books, say books about my very favourite STar Trek characters (that would be Spock and Dr McCoy, followed by Scotty), shouldn't be given away!!! EVER!!! So now you've done this review, and I wish I had the book to hand......sometimes I wonder what my brain does when I'm not looking!

I am so happy he was in both films, too. He will always be a part of me. IT's funny how these characters and the show became part of our culture, but they did, and it's wonderful too. I'm so thrilled my kids get to know them again in the brand-new way, though both my eldest children really enjoy the original Star Trek too. Thanks for writing this post, Pat, so we could talk about Star Trek on it! :-)

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home