My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Lightning Thief

onceup8200_zps6fc5daa0[1]

This is book 3 for Once Upon a Time.

 

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.

Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion;(March 21, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0786838655

bk1_zpsb3e4da7b[1]

From School Library Journal

At first glance, Perseus Jackson seems like a loser (readers meet him at a boarding school for troubled youth), but he's really the son of Poseidon and a mortal woman. As he discovers his heritage, he also loses that mother and falls into mortal danger. The gods (still very active in the 21st-century world) are about to go to war over a lost thunderbolt, so Percy and sidekicks Grover (a young satyr) and Annabeth (daughter of Athena) set out to retrieve it. Many close calls and monster-attacks later, they enter Hades's realm (via L.A.). A virtuoso description of the Underworld is matched by a later account of Olympus (hovering 600 floors above Manhattan). There's lots of zippy review of Greek myth and legend, and characters like Medusa, Procrustes, Charon, and the Eumenides get updates. Some of the Labors of Heracles or Odysseus's adventures are recycled, but nothing seems stale, and the breakneck pace keeps the action from being too predictable. Percy is an ADHD, wise-cracking, first-person narrator. Naturally, his real quest is for his own identity. Along the way, such topics as family, trust, war, the environment, dreams, and perceptions are raised. There is subtle social critique for sophisticated readers who can see it. Although the novel ends with a satisfying conclusion (and at least one surprise), it is clear that the story isn't over. The 12-year-old has matured and is ready for another quest, and the villain is at large. Readers will be eager to follow the young protagonist's next move.–Patricia D. Lothrop, St. George's School, Newport, RI

So… I had forgotten that i bought these three books  long ago.   Since you attention span and comprehension and eyes have, let’s say… not been the best, I thought reading something easy might work.   And it actually did!    So, for now it’s YA books to keep me reading i guess.

I know this was made into a movie, which I haven’t seen, but I certainly can see how young people could enjoy this as a movie.

For adults it is double spaced and fast reading.  I don’t think too many pages go by when you find yourself utter..”what next?”   

I was surprised with parts of the ending and even more surprised to read that it “could have been” a stand alone book…but we all know it isn’t.   I just wanted to mention that in case you want a quick enjoyable read with likeable (and non likeable) characters but not necessarily want to read the whole series.

I did enjoy this and even though my past learning much about “the Gods” I guess I knew enough to not have a problem.  (that would be embarrassing for a 70 yr old to have a problem with a book written for the very young..duh…but then again some teachers I had I can honestly say I didn’t learn very much from!)

If you want quick and enjoyable and easy..this may be a book for you.  OR.. for you to read to a child or grandchild?  Check it out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I think I have The Lightning Thief somewhere on my son's bookshelves. I'll have to check it out.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I honestly thought I'd left a comment on this. Apparently not. Anyway, my grand-daughter loves this series. I haven't tried them but will do so one day I'm sure. Glad you enjoyed it, Pat!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I read it a few years ago and really liked it too. Gray absolutely loves this series!!! Not sure why I never got around to reading the next one. Oh yeah, probably that "too many books, too little time" thing.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I have to read this book. I'm not sure why I haven't, because I do like the movie. I've seen it a couple of times with my daughter. Enjoyed your review, and I will look for this at the library :-)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home