My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 13, 2014

This Time Together

This Time Together by Carol Burnett.

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Three Rivers Press(March 22, 2011)
ISBN-10: 030746119X

burnett_zps52fe717e[1]

From Booklist

In her second book, comedy legend Burnett looks back fondly on her long and successful career in short, easily digestible chapters that part the curtain on her private life. Told in a chatty, intimate way, the stories encompass the star’s childhood; early days as an actress doing bit parts in New York City, appearing on game shows and various variety shows; her 11 years hosting The Carol Burnett Show; and life after the show ended its run. Readers will enjoy the comical reminiscences included, such as how she once used her famous Tarzan yell to disarm a mugger, funny interactions with fans who recognize her on the street, and the origin of famous scenes from the show, such as Scarlett O’Hara in a curtain-rod dress. Burnett doesn’t shy away from sad subjects and occasionally touches on personal losses. She also dishes about her famous costars and friends, including Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Cary Grant, Julie Andrews, and, of course, Carol Burnett Show regulars Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence, and Lyle Waggoner. Fans of both the show and the actress will enjoy this mostly lighthearted though sometimes poignant look back at Burnett’s career. --Kathleen Hughes

You can’t ask for an easier read than this book.  Most chapters are only one or 2 pages long. And many pages wind up having a chuckle to even some guffaws before those 2 pages are over.

As the above review tells you, Carol keeps this book on the positive side, but there are also moments that can tug at your heart.

The chapters fly by as she speaks of all the people involved in her show and many of the guests that went from making her a “fan girl” to a life time friend.

This book was totally enjoyed and if you ever watched her show I think you’d like this book too. 

Carol is iconic, and in her show she always let her talented cast have center stage when things “got out of hand” ..which just means Tim Conway and Harvey Korman being in uncontrolled laughter .

Go ahead..

Read it..

You’ll enjoy it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Thanks for this! I just put a hold on the e-book at the library. I can't wait. I love an easy read, a good biography, and Carol Burnett.

10:22 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have a history with Carol, going back to 1954---we were both working with Ken Welch and somehow followed each other or came before each other---Kenny worked out of his apartment so when you came in, you came right into the room he worked in--she was just starting out.....Ken & Mitzie Welch worked on the Burnett show, forever. And always did Carol's "specials" too....like 'Carol & Julie at Carnegie Hall'.....
Sad to say, dear dear Mitzie died on Tuesday....
Carol was always herself---the nice warm friendly girl she was when I first met her----and Talented...Well, she is Outstanding, as we all know!
I have not read this book, but I am going to get it.....!
Thanks for the review, my dear....

4:06 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Glad you're enjoying these autobiographies at the moment, Pat.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home