My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

Paperback: 337 pages
Publisher: Washington Square Press;(May 5, 2015)
ISBN-10: 1476738025






Amazon Review

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?


Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.


A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others. “If there was an award for ‘Most Charming Book of the Year,’ this first novel by a Swedish blogger-turned-overnight-sensation would win hands down” (Booklist, starred review).



Fredrik Backman is a fantastic writer. And, I would have had this finished a while ago but I had company for a week

I loved "My Grandmother told me to Say She's Sorry" and "Britt Marie Was Here".  This one still had plenty of humor... excellent characters as well as excellent writing.... but it was a bit sadder along with the humor.  It's a very thoughtful book, along with his others.  It's definitely a different sort of story.  I find his books really good for a "change" from the normal.

Reading any of them.  ... when you need a change.

 

 

 

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Missed this somehow. I keep reading about this author and keep meaning to grab something from the library. I will, I promise. LOL. *Hugs you tight*

11:49 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home