My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 15, 2018

American Lightning

American Lightning by Howard Blum.
Paperback: 339 pages
Publisher: Three Rivers Press;(October 6, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0307346951 




In this masterpiece of narrative history, acclaimed author Howard Blum evokes the original "crime of the century" and an aftermath even more dramatic than the crime itself–a seminal episode in America’s history that would spark national debate and draw into its orbit master sleuth William J. Burns, crusading lawyer Clarence Darrow, and industry-shaping filmmaker D. W. Griffith.


Generally, I enjoy a historical read about things like the beginning of Hollywood.  Add to it a mystery and it should be right up my alley.  But I can't say I enjoyed the way this author wrote.  At times it was a bit confusing, and it seemed like he would jump from the mystery to the history and then back again instead of it being smoothly integrated.   Rarely am I critical of the writing more than the story.. but this time, although I read the entire book.. it didn't do much for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I hate it when I'm confused by the way a book is written. Like the writer is trying to be clever. What's the point? No good writing a book your readers can't easily understand, you don't get your point across that way.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home