My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, June 08, 2009

A Peek at the Pond episode.1

  Here are the first "residents" of the pond that I spotted...

I have no idea where "dad" is.. I only saw mama and two babies (i don't know the name of the birds here.. but this isn't a duck of any sort).

I took these photo's from inside my apt using my zoom lens thru the glass sliding doors.  I took other pictures of other birds that I will post separately. Some are clearer than others as some I had to zoom clear across the pond, and when I took some other shots it was raining dark and about to rain.. but these weren't too bad.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Oh Pat, what gorgeous bundles of fluff! I'm a bit of an amateur bird-watcher but can't name those I'm afraid, though they look a bit like our coots or moorhens. How much nicer for you to look out on these than on your previous view!

9:27 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I love the photos and I would've gone with a duck of some sort. But I know a blogger who is a birder so I am ask him to drop by and see if he knows.

I'd love having them outside my window.

cjh

12:49 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

As per CJ's suggtion they appear to be American Coots aka in the Midwest "Mudhens". They are actually not a duck but a type of rail or shorebird that look an awful lot like a duck. As a former hunter I can categorically state they taste like mud. :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely Lovely Birds...whatever they are.....They sure look related to the Duck family in some respect....! Your long lens workd great!

8:06 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oh, they're just lovely. Birdwatching is one of my favorite things to do, It's so peaceful :D

6:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: this is my new "gang" lol

thanks for the info troutbirder!

naomi: its strange to see the baby birds which relates to spring when it's nearly 90 degrees each day.. that's not spring to me! lol

hi animewookie: oh good then you will see a few more here !

7:07 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Very good pictures whatever they are. Great pictures of Boo Boo Kitty. Maybe he is scared of the big bird. I think those are the Great Blue Herons. I still like the looks of your new home. Helen

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

Voicing that they look like coots to me too. (Not sure how valid that is, living on the other side of the world, though.) Cute creatures. ^-^ It's such lovely wildlife to see, isn't it?

I live next to a canal, so there are always ducks and coots about on top of sparrows and the like. Far too much fun when the little ones are there. No herons or swans in the canal, though. ^-~

5:21 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

SO cute! They may not be ducks but they're cute enough to be :)

4:36 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

coots. I see someone beat me to the punch.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home